no vim nor gdb in minix3 - Minix

This is a discussion on no vim nor gdb in minix3 - Minix ; hi i just can boot minix3 from qemu but i found my minix doesnt have vim it should have had this ,right? i see the minix3 webpage , it does have vim and i choose Full install when installion so ...

  1. no vim nor gdb in minix3

    hi
    i just can boot minix3 from qemu
    but i found my minix doesnt have vim
    it should have had this ,right?
    i see the minix3 webpage , it does have vim
    and i choose Full install when installion

    so how do i install vim ?
    because so far i found the network in minix can not work
    (i found i also dont have X window )

    meanwhile , i found there's no GDB on minix
    how should i debug in minix world?

    thanks

  2. Re: no vim nor gdb in minix3

    > i just can boot minix3 from qemu
    > but i found my minix doesnt have vim
    > it should have had this ,right?
    > i see the minix3 webpage , it does have vim
    > and i choose Full install when installion
    >
    > so how do i install vim ?
    > because so far i found the network in minix can not work
    > (i found i also dont have X window )
    >
    > meanwhile , i found there's no GDB on minix
    > how should i debug in minix world?

    Full install means installing Minix sources. Use packman to install
    additional programs such as vim. Do do this you need either the boot CD
    in the drive or a working internet connection.

    If you cannot/do not want to install vim you can use elvis, which is
    very similar.

    mdb is a (very minimal) debugger. It's good enough if you really have
    no alternative, but don't expect anything like the functionality gdb
    offers. If you compiled your binary with gcc, or if you're using a core
    file, be prepared to only have hexadecimal addresses (no symbols, use
    nm to manually translate) and assembly code (no linking with source
    files).

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  3. Re: no vim nor gdb in minix3

    On Mar 18, 3:37 pm, allstars wrote:
    > hi
    > i just can boot minix3 from qemu
    > but i found my minix doesnt have vim
    > it should have had this ,right?

    It is included in 'packages', that you should install from either your
    CD, or from the network.
    You will also find the X Windows package.

    > i see the minix3 webpage , it does have vim
    > and i choose Full install when installion
    >
    > so how do i install vim ?
    > because so far i found the network in minix can not work
    > (i found i also dont have X window )
    >
    > meanwhile , i found there's no GDB on minix
    > how should i debug in minix world?
    >
    > thanks

+ Reply to Thread