USB - Minix

This is a discussion on USB - Minix ; hello guys!!!! Im happy to be a new minix3 user. I have managed to install it on my usb and boot from it. My next question is as follows. I dont want to install minix3 on my computer just yet. ...

  1. USB

    hello guys!!!!
    Im happy to be a new minix3 user.
    I have managed to install it on my usb and boot from it.
    My next question is as follows.

    I dont want to install minix3 on my computer just yet.
    So i would like to use minix3 from my usb at all times.

    1) Is it possible to get internet access from the USB? That is,
    I will mostly be running minix3 from a computer at my school. Can i
    access
    the internet? If so, how?

    2) Once i have booted minix3 and running the OS, is it possible to
    access information on the hard disk of the computer? If so,
    how do i do this.

    Thanks in advance guys

  2. Re: USB

    Jose Maldonado wrote:
    > hello guys!!!!
    > Im happy to be a new minix3 user.
    > I have managed to install it on my usb and boot from it.
    > My next question is as follows.

    > I dont want to install minix3 on my computer just yet.
    > So i would like to use minix3 from my usb at all times.

    > 1) Is it possible to get internet access from the USB? That is,
    > I will mostly be running minix3 from a computer at my school. Can i
    > access
    > the internet? If so, how?

    If your school offers Internet access through the network and supports
    DHCP, chances are good internet works from the get-go. Have you tried if
    internet works or not?

    > 2) Once i have booted minix3 and running the OS, is it possible to
    > access information on the hard disk of the computer? If so,
    > how do i do this.

    Probably not. Minix only sypports the Minix file system at the moment and
    can access FAT file systems thorugh the dosread/doswrite utilities. Your
    school's computer's disks are porbably either NTFS (Windows) or EXT2/EXT3
    (Linux). However, if your schools offers ssh access to a file server, you
    should be able to use scp (after installing OpenSSH).

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  3. Re: USB

    cool thanks for that!

    However...what if they dont support DHCP
    for those computers? How do i manually supply
    an IP. What is the device name in minix3 of the
    network card?

  4. Re: USB

    > However...what if they dont support DHCP
    > for those computers? How do i manually supply
    > an IP. What is the device name in minix3 of the
    > network card?

    Check out man ifconfig for info on how to set the IP address. add_route
    can be used to set the gateway.

    Minix has the following device names for the ethernet card itself and
    several services:

    /dev/eth (also /dev/eth0 ... /dev/ethn for non-default cards)
    /dev/ip (also /dev/ip0 ... /dev/ipn for non-default cards)
    /dev/udp (also /dev/udp0 ... /dev/udpn for non-default cards)
    /dev/tcp (also /dev/tcp0 ... /dev/tcpn for non-default cards)

    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

+ Reply to Thread