bash+ssh doesn't work properly - Minix

This is a discussion on bash+ssh doesn't work properly - Minix ; I've got mini-3.1.2a on a 4GB drive. Installed with everything, added bash, ssh, screen and some other stuff. If I log onto the machine with its own keyboard, and run bash, everything is fine. If I ssh into my machine, ...

  1. bash+ssh doesn't work properly

    I've got mini-3.1.2a on a 4GB drive. Installed with everything, added
    bash, ssh, screen
    and some other stuff. If I log onto the machine with its
    own keyboard,
    and run bash, everything is fine. If I ssh into my machine,
    then try to run
    bash, I don't see the output of any of my commands.
    demonstrate what I get, I'll show two
    outputs:
    >$ ls
    >bin src yoyobashprofile yoyobashrc >$

    That's from a ssh session with sh. It's also what I get (though I get
    bash$ instead of
    $) when I log onto the machine's console, and run bash.

    >$

    bash
    >bash-3.00$ lsbash-3.00$

    That's from a ssh session showing me executing bash, and trying to
    execute ls. Not
    very useful, as you can imagine. I have the same thing appear even if
    I use "screen"
    inside a ssh session (i.e. ssh into the machine, start
    screen, and then
    run
    bash).

    Any clues as to where to go, because frankly, this one has me
    completely
    stumped.

    Thanks.
    The Viking

  2. Re: bash+ssh doesn't work properly

    On 2008-02-19, brickviking@gmail.com wrote:

    > If I log onto the machine with its own keyboard,
    > and run bash, everything is fine. If I ssh into
    > my machine, then try to run bash, I don't see
    > the output of any of my commands.

    >>$ ls
    >>bin src yoyobashprofile yoyobashrc >$

    >>$

    > bash
    >>bash-3.00$ lsbash-3.00$

    The different prompt suggests a difference in your environment
    i.e a different set of startup files (or parts of them) is used
    depending on the conditions you log in by - or perhaps even you are
    comparing two different shells.

    Could ls be aliased to something unhelpful (such as trying to show
    colours, or an incorrect pathname meaning no execution at all)?

    "echo *" is the poor man's ls while investigating stuff like this.

    http://www.notatla.org.uk/goen/

  3. Re: bash+ssh doesn't work properly

    On Feb 19, 10:06 pm, all mail refused
    wrote:
    > On 2008-02-19, brickvik...@gmail.com wrote:

    > The different prompt suggests a difference in your environment
    > i.e a different set of startup files (or parts of them) is used
    > depending on the conditions you log in by - or perhaps even you are
    > comparing two different shells.
    >
    > Could ls be aliased to something unhelpful (such as trying to show
    > colours, or an incorrect pathname meaning no execution at all)?
    >
    > "echo *" is the poor man's ls while investigating stuff like this.

    Thank you for your reply. Apologies for the previous post and the
    way it looked. I guess that's the last time I use 78 width in a
    72-composer field. Anyhow, to address the first issue, I don't have a
    ..bashrc or a .bash_profile, I'm just using bash without startup
    files. Second, if I use a command that does address the screen as
    a whole, that seems to work: less, vim are good examples of this.
    Funnily enough, if I try the internal "set" command, that shows
    output too.
    >bash-3.00$ lsbash-3.00$ <=== not working
    >bash-3.00$ echo *bash-3.00$ <== still not working
    >bash-3.00$ ls | less
    >bin
    >newbit
    >src

    ... which appears to work as expected. I'm investigating further.
    I've added various pieces to the /etc/termcap to add in sequences
    for a linux terminal and several ansi prerequisites, but frankly
    they're
    making no difference. Even the venerable standby of echo * did
    not work.

    So far, I'm out of ideas.
    The Viking

+ Reply to Thread