Is it possible to install minix 3 on VirtualBox? - Minix

This is a discussion on Is it possible to install minix 3 on VirtualBox? - Minix ; Hi all! I want to install minix 3 on virtual machine for learning, it is said that it runs fine on virtual machine such as VMware and Xen, then does it also run fine on VirtualBox?...

  1. Is it possible to install minix 3 on VirtualBox?

    Hi all! I want to install minix 3 on virtual machine for learning, it
    is said that it runs fine on virtual machine such as VMware and Xen,
    then does it also run fine on VirtualBox?

  2. Re: Is it possible to install minix 3 on VirtualBox?

    linuxsieur@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi all! I want to install minix 3 on virtual machine for learning, it
    > is said that it runs fine on virtual machine such as VMware and Xen,
    > then does it also run fine on VirtualBox?

    We've been hearing some reports that networking in VirtualBox is giving
    some trouble. However, there seem to be workarounds as well. Look for some
    recent articles in this group on the subject to help you along.

    I prefer QEmu by the way, but that's my personal experience.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  3. Re: Is it possible to install minix 3 on VirtualBox?

    On Feb 19, 5:15 pm, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    > linuxsi...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hi all! I want to install minix 3 on virtual machine for learning, it
    > > is said that it runs fine on virtual machine such as VMware and Xen,
    > > then does it also run fine on VirtualBox?

    > We've been hearing some reports that networking in VirtualBox is giving
    > some trouble. However, there seem to be workarounds as well. Look for some
    > recent articles in this group on the subject to help you along.
    >
    > I prefer QEmu by the way, but that's my personal experience.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jens
    >
    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > -- Stewart Dean

    thank you! that helps me a lot. I'd try qemu as well.

  4. Re: Is it possible to install minix 3 on VirtualBox?

    On Feb 20, 9:38 am, linuxsi...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Feb 19, 5:15 pm, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    >

    > > linuxsi...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > > Hi all! I want to install minix 3 on virtual machine for learning, it
    > > > is said that it runs fine on virtual machine such as VMware and Xen,
    > > > then does it also run fine on VirtualBox?

    > > We've been hearing some reports that networking in VirtualBox is giving
    > > some trouble. However, there seem to be workarounds as well. Look for some
    > > recent articles in this group on the subject to help you along.

    > > I prefer QEmu by the way, but that's my personal experience.

    > > Regards,

    > > Jens

    > > --
    > > Jens de Smit
    > > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > > -- Stewart Dean

    > thank you! that helps me a lot. I'd try qemu as well.

    If you read the previsious post, You'll see that Virtual Box have a
    lot of problem with the lance network driver

  5. Re: Is it possible to install minix 3 on VirtualBox?

    On Feb 20, 3:44 pm, Axj Fsugitalia wrote:
    > On Feb 20, 9:38 am, linuxsi...@gmail.com wrote:

    > > > We've been hearing some reports that networking in VirtualBox is giving
    > > > some trouble. However, there seem to be workarounds as well. Look for some
    > > > recent articles in this group on the subject to help you along.

    > > > I prefer QEmu by the way, but that's my personal experience.

    > > > Regards,

    > > > Jens

    > > > --
    > > > Jens de Smit
    > > > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > > > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > > > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > > > -- Stewart Dean

    > > thank you! that helps me a lot. I'd try qemu as well.

    > If you read the previsious post, You'll see that Virtual Box have a
    > lot of problem with the lance network driver

    hi, all..
    thaks for your suggestion, so please suggest.. in my windows box what
    kind of virtualization software i have to install ??
    because i have a very poor configuration box.. and personally i am
    looking for somthing small and faster VM software for my box. is
    VMware the best choice (ofcaurse ACE Edition) !! ;-)

  6. Re: Is it possible to install minix 3 on VirtualBox?

    Avijit wrote:
    > hi, all..
    > thaks for your suggestion, so please suggest.. in my windows box what
    > kind of virtualization software i have to install ??
    > because i have a very poor configuration box.. and personally i am
    > looking for somthing small and faster VM software for my box. is
    > VMware the best choice (ofcaurse ACE Edition) !! ;-)

    From what I know VMware has quite good performance. However, keep in mind
    that virtualization is generally costly, so on a low-performance box you
    might experience some serious slow-down no matter what VM you use.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit