minix on laptop - Minix

This is a discussion on minix on laptop - Minix ; Hi I am a newbie and am wanting to install minix. The minix manual says "A minimal installation (without the commands sources) requires 8 MB RAM and 50 MB of disk space. SerialATA, USB, and SCSI disks are not supported ...

  1. minix on laptop

    Hi
    I am a newbie and am wanting to install minix.

    The minix manual says "A minimal installation
    (without the commands sources) requires 8 MB RAM and 50 MB of disk
    space.
    SerialATA, USB, and SCSI disks are not supported at present.

    I have a dell d531 laptop and I am wanting to use minix. Does the
    above mean that I won't be able to install minix on my laptop since I
    have a sata harddrive.

    Could anyone please clarify me about this.

    Thank You.

  2. Re: minix on laptop

    On Feb 17, 4:49 am, sid wrote:
    > Hi
    > I am a newbie and am wanting to install minix.
    >
    > The minix manual says "A minimal installation
    > (without the commands sources) requires 8 MB RAM and 50 MB of disk
    > space.
    > SerialATA, USB, and SCSI disks are not supported at present.
    >
    > I have a dell d531 laptop and I am wanting to use minix. Does the
    > above mean that I won't be able to install minix on my laptop since I
    > have a sata harddrive.
    >
    > Could anyone please clarify me about this.
    >
    > Thank You.

    At the moment minix have a reduced set of drivers.... and sata, usb
    and scsi, at the moment are not included (even 64bit processor).
    So.... it's possible to try a Virtual Machine, but I think that is
    impossible for you, use minix like a host.... Try if you have an old
    poweless pc.... You will surprised by the speed....

  3. Re: minix on laptop

    > I have a dell d531 laptop and I am wanting to use minix. Does the
    > above mean that I won't be able to install minix on my laptop since I
    > have a sata harddrive.

    Hi,

    Minix does actually have SATA support,

    http://www.minix3.org/doc/faq.html#technical

    My SATA drive doesn't work with MINIX:

    MINIX 3 does actually have SATA support, but we've seen problems if
    they're set to "Enhanced" (sometimes called "Native") mode. Try
    changing the setting to "Legacy" or "Combined" in BIOS.

+ Reply to Thread