Modifying the Minix kernel code - Minix

This is a discussion on Modifying the Minix kernel code - Minix ; I have just started using minix. if i make changes to the c files listed in /usr/src directory no changes take place on reboot. I am running minix on vmware. please tell me what i can do to modify the ...

  1. Modifying the Minix kernel code

    I have just started using minix. if i make changes to the c files
    listed in /usr/src directory no changes take place on reboot. I am
    running minix on vmware. please tell me what i can do to modify the
    code as i want.

  2. Re: Modifying the Minix kernel code

    On Feb 16, 9:54*am, Himanshu Sharma wrote:
    > I have just started using minix. if i make changes to the c files
    > listed in /usr/src directory no changes take place on reboot. I am
    > running minix on vmware. please tell me what i can do to modify the
    > code as i want.

    You must read the appendix in Tanenbaum's book. There it is explained
    how to rebuild the system.
    It may help you.

  3. Re: Modifying the Minix kernel code

    Himanshu Sharma wrote:
    > I have just started using minix. if i make changes to the c files
    > listed in /usr/src directory no changes take place on reboot. I am
    > running minix on vmware. please tell me what i can do to modify the
    > code as i want.

    If you want to modify only the minix kernel source code (/usr/src/
    kernel):

    0) cd /usr/src/kernel ..... and do your changes to the code
    1) make install
    2) reboot your system
    3) Choose the option "Start custom Minix".

    It should works.

  4. Re: Modifying the Minix kernel code

    On Feb 16, 12:01 pm, Maurizio Lombardi wrote:
    > Himanshu Sharma wrote:
    > > I have just started using minix. if i make changes to the c files
    > > listed in /usr/src directory no changes take place on reboot. I am
    > > running minix on vmware. please tell me what i can do to modify the
    > > code as i want.

    > If you want to modify only the minix kernel source code (/usr/src/
    > kernel):
    >
    > 0) cd /usr/src/kernel ..... and do your changes to the code
    > 1) make install
    > 2) reboot your system
    > 3) Choose the option "Start custom Minix".
    >
    > It should works.

    I couldn't get that to work on mine, instead I did:

    1 - Make code changes
    2 - In /usr/src/kernel, run make && make install
    3 - In /usr/src/tools, run make hdboot
    4 - Reboot & choose custom Minix

    Not sure if this is the best way to do it, but it works.

  5. Re: Modifying the Minix kernel code

    On 02/20/08 10:27, jamesgoode wrote:

    > I couldn't get that to work on mine, instead I did:
    >
    > 1 - Make code changes
    > 2 - In /usr/src/kernel, run make && make install
    > 3 - In /usr/src/tools, run make hdboot
    > 4 - Reboot & choose custom Minix
    >
    > Not sure if this is the best way to do it, but it works.

    This is the correct way to run new kernels.
    The procedure given by Maurizio does not install the kernel in the
    proper directory and with the proper name.

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  6. Re: Modifying the Minix kernel code

    thanks everyone but i found that out myself in an hour and it is that
    'make hdboot' option mentioned by Giovanni.
    thanks anyway.

    I have started making changes to the kernel and am willing to write
    completely new modules if any one is interested then can share any
    valuable information they have.

+ Reply to Thread