basic networking and X - Minix

This is a discussion on basic networking and X - Minix ; Hey, I'm new to MINIX and was interested in learning a bit about it's configuration, and hopefully some development. I installed using a howto from http://www.minixtips.com/2006/06/run...nder-qemu.html , but I haven't had any success getting the network card to work or ...

  1. basic networking and X

    Hey,

    I'm new to MINIX and was interested in learning a bit about it's
    configuration, and hopefully some development. I installed using a
    howto from http://www.minixtips.com/2006/06/run...nder-qemu.html,
    but I haven't had any success getting the network card to work or
    starting an X session through kvm. I get the following error running
    X.

    # xdm
    # pm_exec: exec_newmap failed: -12

    I also can't ping anything. I tried to setup MINIX using Realtek
    8029, but haven't gotten any good results following this tutorial.
    Can anyone help me getting these two things working?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: basic networking and X

    strattonbrazil@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hey,

    > I'm new to MINIX and was interested in learning a bit about it's
    > configuration, and hopefully some development. I installed using a
    > howto from http://www.minixtips.com/2006/06/run...nder-qemu.html,
    > but I haven't had any success getting the network card to work or
    > starting an X session through kvm. I get the following error running
    > X.

    > # xdm
    > # pm_exec: exec_newmap failed: -12

    > I also can't ping anything. I tried to setup MINIX using Realtek
    > 8029, but haven't gotten any good results following this tutorial.
    > Can anyone help me getting these two things working?

    First of all: please tell us as precisely as you can which version of
    Minix you installed. Secondly, how many MB did you assign to QEmu? And
    third, what have you tried to get things to work?

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  3. Re: basic networking and X

    On Feb 14, 8:32 pm, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    > strattonbra...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hey,
    > > I'm new to MINIX and was interested in learning a bit about it's
    > > configuration, and hopefully some development. I installed using a
    > > howto fromhttp://www.minixtips.com/2006/06/running-minix-under-qemu.html,
    > > but I haven't had any success getting the network card to work or
    > > starting an X session through kvm. I get the following error running
    > > X.
    > > # xdm
    > > # pm_exec: exec_newmap failed: -12
    > > I also can't ping anything. I tried to setup MINIX using Realtek
    > > 8029, but haven't gotten any good results following this tutorial.
    > > Can anyone help me getting these two things working?

    > First of all: please tell us as precisely as you can which version of
    > Minix you installed. Secondly, how many MB did you assign to QEmu? And
    > third, what have you tried to get things to work?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jens
    >
    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > -- Stewart Dean

    From my experience the pm_exec: exec_newmap failed: -12 error is a
    memory error.
    Read the man page for chmem and specifically look at the chmem +
    command. You may need to experiment before you find the right value.

+ Reply to Thread