Linux driver compatibility layer? - Minix

This is a discussion on Linux driver compatibility layer? - Minix ; Hi, I think I read somewhere a Linux driver compatibility layer was wanted for Minix, but I can't seem to find where I read about this again. Did I dream?...

  1. Linux driver compatibility layer?

    Hi,

    I think I read somewhere a Linux driver compatibility layer was wanted
    for Minix, but I can't seem to find where I read about this again. Did
    I dream?

  2. Re: Linux driver compatibility layer?

    On 6 Feb, 10:23, Iz wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I think I read somewhere a Linux driver compatibility layer was wanted
    > for Minix, but I can't seem to find where I read about this again. Did
    > I dream?

    No, probably you had read it here:

    http://www.minix3.org/projects.html

    Maurizio Lombardi

  3. Re: Linux driver compatibility layer?

    On 6 fév, 11:57, Maurizio Lombardi wrote:
    > On 6 Feb, 10:23, Iz wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > I think I read somewhere a Linux driver compatibility layer was wanted
    > > for Minix, but I can't seem to find where I read about this again. Did
    > > I dream?

    > No, probably you had read it here:
    >
    > http://www.minix3.org/projects.html
    >
    > Maurizio Lombardi

    Thank you Maurizio!

    Where could I find more info about this framework project, like: is
    anyone known to be working on this? Have related issues been discussed
    somewhere in particular?

  4. Re: Linux driver compatibility layer?

    Iz wrote:

    > Thank you Maurizio!

    > Where could I find more info about this framework project, like: is
    > anyone known to be working on this? Have related issues been discussed
    > somewhere in particular?

    Judging from the "who is working on what" page
    http://www.minix3.org/who_doing_what.html nobody has started this yet. The
    Wiki also only mentions the desire for such a framework, no additional
    information is available. In other words, I think not much has been done
    on this project so far and you would have to start from scratch. If you're
    really interested you can contact Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl), I
    believe he is still in charge of coordination.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  5. Re: Linux driver compatibility layer?

    On 6 fév, 20:23, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    > Iz wrote:
    >
    > > Where could I find more info about this framework project, like: is
    > > anyone known to be working on this? Have related issues been discussed
    > > somewhere in particular?

    > Judging from the "who is working on what" pagehttp://www.minix3.org/who_doing_what.htmlnobody has started this yet. The
    > Wiki also only mentions the desire for such a framework, no additional
    > information is available. In other words, I think not much has been done
    > on this project so far and you would have to start from scratch. If you're
    > really interested you can contact Andy Tanenbaum (a...@cs.vu.nl), I
    > believe he is still in charge of coordination.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jens

    Alright, thank you Jens.

    It looks like it would be an interesting project, although probably
    quite big.
    I guess the proper approach would be to work subsystem after
    subsystem...

    Anyway, I will be away from home (and internet connections) this week,
    but I will get back to it next week.
    I'll have some time to think about it.

    Regards

  6. Re: Linux driver compatibility layer?

    On 2008-02-08, Iz expressed:
    > On 6 fév, 20:23, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    >> Iz wrote:
    >>
    >> > Where could I find more info about this framework project, like: is
    >> > anyone known to be working on this? Have related issues been discussed
    >> > somewhere in particular?

    >> Judging from the "who is working on what" pagehttp://www.minix3.org/who_doing_what.htmlnobody has started this yet. The
    >> Wiki also only mentions the desire for such a framework, no additional
    >> information is available. In other words, I think not much has been done
    >> on this project so far and you would have to start from scratch. If you're
    >> really interested you can contact Andy Tanenbaum (a...@cs.vu.nl), I
    >> believe he is still in charge of coordination.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Jens

    > Alright, thank you Jens.
    >
    > It looks like it would be an interesting project, although probably
    > quite big.
    > I guess the proper approach would be to work subsystem after
    > subsystem...

    I think, the best way to work on the project, is to start with a
    linux-kernel, and strip it. Then run that kernel on your minix-system
    (sort of L4Linux).

    Wouldn't it be nice if minix-drivers can be made to run on linux?

    Greetings,
    Frank

  7. Re: Linux driver compatibility layer?

    On 8 fév, 12:38, frank87 wrote:
    > On 2008-02-08, Iz expressed:

    > >> Judging from the "who is working on what" pagehttp://www.minix3.org/who_doing_what.htmlnobodyhas started this yet. The
    > >> Wiki also only mentions the desire for such a framework, no additional
    > >> information is available. In other words, I think not much has been done
    > >> on this project so far and you would have to start from scratch. If you're
    > >> really interested you can contact Andy Tanenbaum (a...@cs.vu.nl), I
    > >> believe he is still in charge of coordination.

    > >> Regards,

    > >> Jens

    > > Alright, thank you Jens.

    > > It looks like it would be an interesting project, although probably
    > > quite big.
    > > I guess the proper approach would be to work subsystem after
    > > subsystem...

    > I think, the best way to work on the project, is to start with a
    > linux-kernel, and strip it. Then run that kernel on your minix-system
    > (sort of L4Linux).

    I guess it could work this way too.
    What I have in mind at this point however is a layer acting as a linux-
    >minix proxy. Ideally, something as thin and efficient as possible,

    not a "para-virtualization" of a (stripped down) linux kernel. In
    other words: a bottom-up approach, not top-down, if you see what I
    mean.

    > Wouldn't it be nice if minix-drivers can be made to run on linux?

    What for?
    I mean, I understand why minix (with its current small set of drivers)
    could benefit from using the quite extensive set of linux drivers, but
    the other way around?

    Regards

  8. Re: Linux driver compatibility layer?

    On Feb 8, 7:39 pm, frank87 wrote:
    > On 2008-02-08, Iz expressed:
    >
    > > On 8 fév, 12:38, frank87 wrote:
    > >> On 2008-02-08, Iz expressed:
    > >> I think, the best way to work on the project, is to start with a
    > >> linux-kernel, and strip it. Then run that kernel on your minix-system
    > >> (sort of L4Linux).

    > > I guess it could work this way too.
    > > What I have in mind at this point however is a layer acting as a linux-
    > >>minix proxy. Ideally, something as thin and efficient as possible,

    > > not a "para-virtualization" of a (stripped down) linux kernel. In
    > > other words: a bottom-up approach, not top-down, if you see what I
    > > mean.

    The only advantage I can see so far in a top-down approach would be to
    inherit a few linux features not available yet in minix (like USB
    e.g.). However I guess minix deserves to have such subsystems/servers
    implemented especially for minix. So that limiting a linux driver
    compatibility layer to what minix can do at the moment seems to me a
    better idea.

    > I don't know the details of the linux-driver-interface. But the
    > monolithic approach with direct modification of kernel data by the
    > driver suggests the interface is not very cleanly defined. I can be
    > wrong (Linus wrote that the Linux kernel internally is a very
    > "microkernel" design, wich suggests that stripping it would be easy).

    There is indeed no stable driver API in linux, even though subsystem
    interfaces are fairly well defined. Afaik the reason it is so is
    mainly to make sure no binary driver can assume compatibilty with
    further kernel releases, thus promoting open-source drivers. Another
    reason is to allow kernel code to evolve as needed without any rigid
    ties to any frozen API.
    This being said, radical changes don't happen every day.
    Anyway, unless one decides to focus on a single kernel release,
    further updates of the compatibility layer would be needed every now
    and then to stay in tune with linux development.

    Regards

+ Reply to Thread