    ASSERT bora/vmcore/private/iospace_shared.h:491 bugNr=64440

  2. Re: minix using vmware fusion on Leopard?

    All,

    On 2008-01-31, Alex.J.Crovetto@gmail.com wrote:
    > Has anyone been able to install minix from an iso image using vmware
    > fusion on Mac OS X Leopard?
    >
    > When I try to install from the iso image minix3_1_2a_ide_build2.iso I
    > get the folowing error.
    >
    > VMware Fusion unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)
    >
    > ASSERT bora/vmcore/private/iospace_shared.h:491 bugNr=64440

    Googling for 'vmware bugNr=64440' brings up more cases of minix not
    running on instances of vmware.. In my experience minix runs fine on
    vmware, but apparently there are versions/configurations of vmware on
    which it doesn't.. From just this assert it's rather hard to guess
    what's wrong and how to fix/workaround it though

    =Ben

  3. Re: minix using vmware fusion on Leopard?

    Ben Gras wrote:
    > All,

    > Googling for 'vmware bugNr=64440' brings up more cases of minix not
    > running on instances of vmware.. In my experience minix runs fine on
    > vmware, but apparently there are versions/configurations of vmware on
    > which it doesn't.. From just this assert it's rather hard to guess
    > what's wrong and how to fix/workaround it though

    This is just a wild guess, but it _could_ have something to do with the
    amount of memory your VM is configured to emulate. I've had QEMU crash on
    me quite reliably when running memory-hogging programs with QEMU
    configured to provide 128M. As soon as I switched this to 256M the problem
    never occurred again. Could it be that Minix inadvertently tries to
    address non-existent memory?

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  4. Re: minix using vmware fusion on Leopard?

    On Jan 31, 6:51*am, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    > Ben Gras wrote:
    > > All,
    > > Googling for 'vmware bugNr=64440' brings up more cases of minix not
    > > running on instances of vmware.. In my experience minix runs fine on
    > > vmware, but apparently there are versions/configurations of vmware on
    > > which it doesn't.. From just this assert it's rather hard to guess
    > > what's wrong and how to fix/workaround it though

    > This is just a wild guess, but it _could_ have something to do with the
    > amount of memory your VM is configured to emulate. I've had QEMU crash on
    > me quite reliably when running memory-hogging programs with QEMU
    > configured to provide 128M. As soon as I switched this to 256M the problem
    > never occurred again. Could it be that Minix inadvertently tries to
    > address non-existent memory?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jens
    >
    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > -- Stewart Dean

    Have you tried this MINIX on VMware Fusion on Mac
    ?

+ Reply to Thread