Problems with X11 - Minix

This is a discussion on Problems with X11 - Minix ; I'm stuck trying to get X11 running on Minix. I have an older 500 Mhz PC - AMD K6-2, 512 Mb RAM, 10 gig HD, RTL8139, SIS 530 video with 8 meg of shared memory. Minix installed fine and all ...

  1. Problems with X11

    I'm stuck trying to get X11 running on Minix. I have an older 500 Mhz
    PC - AMD K6-2, 512 Mb RAM, 10 gig HD, RTL8139, SIS 530 video with 8
    meg of shared memory. Minix installed fine and all tests passed.
    Packman installed X11 without complaint - except for allocating only
    8000000 bytes (chmem'd to 16000000). X -configure creates a
    reasonable xorg.conf, but when I run xdm I get a grey screen with
    login box that won't accept any logins and ctrl-alt-BS seems to exit,
    but then restarts. TheXLogFile.0.log ends with the following lines:

    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
    (EE) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
    setKbdRepeat not implemented
    (II) Mouse): ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
    Couldn't init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/CID/, removing
    from list!

    There are a few warnings about video settings much earlier in the log,
    but they don't appear serious.

    Any hints on what's wrong or where I should look?

    I'd eventually like to install equinox and use this machine for
    browsing the internet and reading mail. Any comments or suggestions?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Problems with X11

    try simply startx
    x should start normally and leave xdm configuration for future.
    greets
    nec

    douginmd@gmail.com pisze:
    > I'm stuck trying to get X11 running on Minix. I have an older 500 Mhz
    > PC - AMD K6-2, 512 Mb RAM, 10 gig HD, RTL8139, SIS 530 video with 8
    > meg of shared memory. Minix installed fine and all tests passed.
    > Packman installed X11 without complaint - except for allocating only
    > 8000000 bytes (chmem'd to 16000000). X -configure creates a
    > reasonable xorg.conf, but when I run xdm I get a grey screen with
    > login box that won't accept any logins and ctrl-alt-BS seems to exit,
    > but then restarts. TheXLogFile.0.log ends with the following lines:
    >
    > (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
    > (EE) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
    > setKbdRepeat not implemented
    > (II) Mouse): ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
    > Couldn't init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/CID/, removing
    > from list!
    >
    > There are a few warnings about video settings much earlier in the log,
    > but they don't appear serious.
    >
    > Any hints on what's wrong or where I should look?
    >
    > I'd eventually like to install equinox and use this machine for
    > browsing the internet and reading mail. Any comments or suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

+ Reply to Thread