TCP/IP and ethernet - Minix

This is a discussion on TCP/IP and ethernet - Minix ; Hello, I want to learn implementation of tcp/ip stack and ethernet device driver. I'm thinking in Minix because it's source code is easier than other operating systems and I have the Tanenbaum's book to learn how is Minix. I would ...

  1. TCP/IP and ethernet

    Hello,

    I want to learn implementation of tcp/ip stack and ethernet device
    driver. I'm thinking in Minix because it's source code is easier than
    other operating systems and I have the Tanenbaum's book to learn how
    is Minix.

    I would like to know where can I find informatibon about those
    subjects in Minix.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: TCP/IP and ethernet

    > I want to learn implementation of tcp/ip stack and ethernet device
    > driver. I'm thinking in Minix because it's source code is easier than
    > other operating systems and I have the Tanenbaum's book to learn how
    > is Minix.
    >
    > I would like to know where can I find informatibon about those
    > subjects in Minix.

    Concerning the implemenation of a TCP/IP stack: the Vrije Universiteit
    has a course "Computer Networks Practical" where students program TCP
    and HTTP on top of a simple IP library. The assignments and the IP
    library may be interesting for you and can be found here:
    http://www.cs.vu.nl/~cn/

    As for writing an ethernet driver, a god start might be to study the
    drivers tha are already there. You'll find them in subdirectories of
    /usr/src/drivers. Amongst others, "rtl8139" and "lance" are examples of
    ethernet drivers.

    You would also need to get documentation for the ethernet card you
    intend to write a driver for.

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe