Realtek 'rtl8139' IRQ - Minix

This is a discussion on Realtek 'rtl8139' IRQ - Minix ; Some of you might be following my continuing problems with the Realtek NIC. Since the board *does* work under Linux, I thought I might "look around" in that functional environment. In particular, I used this command: "lspci -vv". Among other ...

  1. Realtek 'rtl8139' IRQ

    Some of you might be following my continuing problems with the Realtek NIC.

    Since the board *does* work under Linux, I thought I might "look
    around" in that functional environment.

    In particular, I used this command: "lspci -vv". Among other things,
    it produced this output for the 8139:

    pin A routed to IRQ 18

    Hmmm ...

    The BIOS, however, only allows (or at least lists) IRQs 3, 9, 10 and
    11 for the board. (10 is the value that is stored within the BIOS
    configuration).

    I little about IRQs (other than the often heard "IRQ conflicts"). So,
    I am not sure what Linux is doing and/or what I can do ...

    Is there a way to force IRQ 18? Or, am I heading in the wrong direction?

    Thanks for your help,
    --
    Prof Kenneth H Jacker khj@cs.appstate.edu
    Computer Science Dept www.cs.appstate.edu/~khj

  2. Re: Realtek 'rtl8139' IRQ

    > Is there a way to force IRQ 18? Or, am I heading in the wrong
    > direction?

    I used to think there were only 16 IRQs (0-15), but apperently that has
    changed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrupt_request).

    I suppose Minix still supports only the 16 IRQs that used to exist, so
    ISTM you should instead force the cards to a lower IRQ. Traditionally
    this used to be done through jumpers, so you may want to check the
    manual if you can use jumpers to change the IRQ.

  3. Re: Realtek 'rtl8139' IRQ

    On Jan 21, 11:21 am, "Erik van der Kouwe" wrote:
    > > Is there a way to force IRQ 18? Or, am I heading in the wrong
    > > direction?

    > I used to think there were only 16 IRQs (0-15), but apperently that has
    > changed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrupt_request).
    >
    > I suppose Minix still supports only the 16 IRQs

    I don't know about that ...

    > you should instead force the cards to a lower IRQ. Traditionally
    > this used to be done through jumpers, so you may want to check the
    > manual if you can use jumpers to change the IRQ.

    No jumpers on the board ... :-(

    -Kenneth

  4. Re: Realtek 'rtl8139' IRQ

    khj wrote:
    >> you should instead force the cards to a lower IRQ. Traditionally
    >> this used to be done through jumpers, so you may want to check the
    >> manual if you can use jumpers to change the IRQ.

    > No jumpers on the board ... :-(

    Sometimes cards support saving configuration to an EEPROM on the board (an
    example is the oft-mentioned 3com 509....). Accessing this EEPROM is
    generally done through some diagnostic tool.

    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...130/RTL8139B(L)

    This page lists some programs (under the "DOS" section) that are titled
    things like "Setup/diagnostics program", "BootROM Flash utility" and
    similar promising names. Download them, get your computer to boot into DOS
    and good luck!

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  5. Re: Realtek 'rtl8139' IRQ

    In article ,
    J.F. de Smit wrote:
    >khj wrote:
    >>> you should instead force the cards to a lower IRQ. Traditionally
    >>> this used to be done through jumpers, so you may want to check the
    >>> manual if you can use jumpers to change the IRQ.

    >> No jumpers on the board ... :-(

    >Sometimes cards support saving configuration to an EEPROM on the board (an
    >example is the oft-mentioned 3com 509....). Accessing this EEPROM is
    >generally done through some diagnostic tool.

    PCI devices have no control over their IRQs. It is the BIOS that sets up
    IRQ routing.

  6. Re: Realtek 'rtl8139' IRQ

    On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, khj wrote:

    > On Jan 21, 11:21 am, "Erik van der Kouwe" wrote:
    > > you should instead force the cards to a lower IRQ. Traditionally
    > > this used to be done through jumpers, so you may want to check the
    > > manual if you can use jumpers to change the IRQ.

    > No jumpers on the board ... :-(

    I remember having IRQ problems with my rtl8139 network card. It turned out
    I had to set the "Plug & Play OS installed" option in my BIOS to "no".
    This option forces the BIOS to assign IRQs to Plug & Play devices, instead
    of relying on the OS to do it (PCI is always PnP). Linux and Windows can
    do it, but Minix cannot. Be aware that your BIOS could assign PCI devices
    to interrupts already in use. When that happens you'll have to try to
    manually assign interrupts in the BIOS (if it allows you to).

    --
    Thomas

+ Reply to Thread