when is minix going to have kenrel thread support, message queues,semophore ..etc ? - Minix

This is a discussion on when is minix going to have kenrel thread support, message queues,semophore ..etc ? - Minix ; For a richer set of applications, I think many system calls are needed. The performance of minix3 for desktop use is good enough, how about the server side ? Is server use also on the agenda ?...

  1. when is minix going to have kenrel thread support, message queues,semophore ..etc ?

    For a richer set of applications, I think many system calls are
    needed.
    The performance of minix3 for desktop use is good enough, how about
    the server side ?
    Is server use also on the agenda ?

  2. Re: when is minix going to have kenrel thread support, messagequeues, semophore ..etc ?

    Minix 3 is not just a education tool, it is a demostration of a
    microkernel design.
    So I think the server use should not be omitted.
    It should be capable of database server, web server, etc.

  3. Re: when is minix going to have kenrel thread support, messagequeues, semophore ..etc ?

    how about the smp support on the future Minix ?

  4. Re: when is minix going to have kenrel thread support, message queues, semophore ..etc ?

    > For a richer set of applications, I think many system calls are
    > needed.
    > The performance of minix3 for desktop use is good enough, how about
    > the server side ?
    > Is server use also on the agenda ?

    On http://www.minix3.org/ you will find the aims of Minix:

    MINIX 3 is a new open-source operating system designed to be highly
    reliable, flexible, and secure. It is loosely based somewhat on
    previous versions of MINIX, but is fundamentally different in many key
    ways. MINIX 1 and 2 were intended as teaching tools; MINIX 3 adds the
    new goal of being usable as a serious system on resource-limited and
    embedded computers and for applications requiring high reliability

    This shows that server usage is no a goal per se, although of course
    showing how an OS can be tuned to boost server performance could be an
    indirect educational goal.

    Although Minix is not specifically designed for server use, it can
    certainly be used to run servers on. Check here for a list of software
    that has been ported, including serverprograms such as Apache:
    http://www.minix3.org/software/

  5. Re: when is minix going to have kenrel thread support, messagequeues, semophore ..etc ?

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Erik van der Kouwe wrote:

    >> [trim]

    > On http://www.minix3.org/ you will find the aims of Minix:
    >

    > MINIX 3 is a new open-source operating system designed to be highly
    > reliable, flexible, and secure. It is loosely based somewhat on
    > previous versions of MINIX, but is fundamentally different in many key
    > ways. MINIX 1 and 2 were intended as teaching tools; MINIX 3 adds the
    > new goal of being usable as a serious system on resource-limited and
    > embedded computers and for applications requiring high reliability
    >

    > This shows that server usage is no a goal per se, although of course
    > showing how an OS can be tuned to boost server performance could be an
    > indirect educational goal.
    > [trim]

    I have been following this board occasionally, although I do not have
    any version of Minix installed. It seems to me that a serious
    consideration for Minix is *not* to compete with Unix or Linux, to be
    the be-all and end-all of operating systems, to be all things to all
    men, but precisely in the forum to which this quote refers:
    resource-limited and embedded systems. For example, I work part time
    for one of the two large bookstore chains in the USA. We use handheld
    computerized scanners. When you reboot them, you see that they are
    running ROMDOS. It would seem to me that this sort of market, in
    addition to education, would be a valuable use for Minix or similar
    basic microkernal OS's.

    --
    Paul Bartlett

+ Reply to Thread