Realtek 'rtl8139' not Recognized - Minix

This is a discussion on Realtek 'rtl8139' not Recognized - Minix ; Based on the reports of others, I decided to buy some Realtek NICs (rtl8139) for use with Minix3. Though they work fine under Linux, I'm having troubles with Minix3. Here are some relevant error message lines that appear during the ...

  1. Realtek 'rtl8139' not Recognized

    Based on the reports of others, I decided to buy some Realtek NICs
    (rtl8139) for use with Minix3.

    Though they work fine under Linux, I'm having troubles with Minix3.

    Here are some relevant error message lines that appear during the boot
    process:

    | Starting Services: random rtl8139 ... |
    | |
    | inetosdep_eth_init: no ethernet device at task=35583, port=0 |
    | |
    | eth_set_rec_conf: waiting for device to appear |
    | |
    | ... ... ... |
    | |
    | Alarm call |
    | |
    | Unable to obtain IP address. |

    Does anyone know what is wrong?

    More importantly, does anyone have a solution? ;-)
    --
    Prof Kenneth H Jacker khj@cs.appstate.edu
    Computer Science Dept www.cs.appstate.edu/~khj

  2. Re: Realtek 'rtl8139' not Recognized

    In article <877ii85pll.fsf@be.cs.appstate.edu>,
    Kenneth Jacker wrote:
    >Based on the reports of others, I decided to buy some Realtek NICs
    >(rtl8139) for use with Minix3.
    >
    >Though they work fine under Linux, I'm having troubles with Minix3.
    >
    >Here are some relevant error message lines that appear during the boot
    >process:

    > | Starting Services: random rtl8139 ... |
    > | |
    > | inetosdep_eth_init: no ethernet device at task=35583, port=0 |
    > | |
    > | eth_set_rec_conf: waiting for device to appear |
    > | |
    > | ... ... ... |
    > | |
    > | Alarm call |
    > | |
    > | Unable to obtain IP address. |
    >
    >Does anyone know what is wrong?

    No. Set pci_debug=1 in the boot monitor and boot. You probably need to do
    something like 'cat -u /dev/klog >/tmp/log &' to get the debug output in
    a file. Check whether an rtl8139 is present in the PCI debug output.

  3. Re: Realtek 'rtl8139' not Recognized

    ph> Kenneth Jacker wrote:
    >> Based on the reports of others, I decided to buy some Realtek NICs
    >> (rtl8139) for use with Minix3.
    >>
    >> Though they work fine under Linux, I'm having troubles with Minix3.
    >>
    >> [ Error messages omitted -khj ]
    >>
    >> Does anyone know what is wrong?

    ph> No.

    Guess you need more info ... ;-)

    ph> Set pci_debug=1 in the boot monitor and boot.

    This I did.

    ph> You probably need to do something like 'cat -u /dev/klog
    ph> >/tmp/log &' to get the debug output in a file.

    Maybe I'm missing something here, but after booting and logging in,
    "catting" /dev/klog (as above) produces no output in the file.

    So, I figured that I needed to re-invoke the networking (device
    recognition, DHCP, etc.). But how?

    I tried a few things: rerunning /usr/sbin/rtl8139, using 'service' to
    restart it (caused a "panic"!), ...

    Some of the above *did* add more to /dev/klog, but the content was
    pretty much the same as shown during booting (the lines that I deleted
    above).

    Philip, what should I do after booting with "pci_debug=1"?

    Sorry if I'm missing the obvious ...

    Thanks for your suggestions,

    -Kenneth

  4. Re: Realtek 'rtl8139' not Recognized

    In article <87odbf2njl.fsf@be.cs.appstate.edu>,
    Kenneth Jacker wrote:
    >Maybe I'm missing something here, but after booting and logging in,
    >"catting" /dev/klog (as above) produces no output in the file.

    Maybe syslog got it and put it in /var/log/messages. Usually syslog hangs
    when there in no network.

    >Philip, what should I do after booting with "pci_debug=1"?

    Look for the out of the pci server and locate the entry for the rtl8139.
    The next step in debugging depends on whether the pci server has an entry for
    the rtl8139. If it does, then the bug must be somewhere in the rtl8139 driver.
    Otherwise, there may be an issue with PCI bridges, etc.

  5. Re: Realtek 'rtl8139' not Recognized

    > Philip, what should I do after booting with "pci_debug=1"?
    >
    > Look for the out of the pci server ...

    What exactly *is* the "pci server"? And where can I see its output?

    Sorry for my ignorance!

    -Kenneth

  6. Re: Realtek 'rtl8139' not Recognized

    In article <518c4861-328f-462d-98f5-448f50db77c1@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
    khj wrote:

    >> Philip, what should I do after booting with "pci_debug=1"?
    >>
    >> Look for the out of the pci server ...

    >What exactly *is* the "pci server"? And where can I see its output?

    There is a process called 'pci' that coordinates access to pci devices.
    System processes send debug output both to the console and to the log device.
    The log device provide the output at /dev/klog where it is usually read
    by syslogd and then written to /var/log/messages.

    Without a working network configuration, syslogd hangs during initialization.
    So you have to copy /dev/klog yourself if you want to see what in it.