Comparison between the MINIX and L4 micro kernels - Minix

This is a discussion on Comparison between the MINIX and L4 micro kernels - Minix ; Hi, I am an absolute newbie in this field so please excuse me if you find my question silly/obnoxious. We already have many excellent micro- kernels floating around (say L4 for instance) then what is the point in continuing with ...

  1. Comparison between the MINIX and L4 micro kernels

    Hi,

    I am an absolute newbie in this field so please excuse me if you find
    my question silly/obnoxious. We already have many excellent micro-
    kernels floating around (say L4 for instance) then what is the point
    in continuing with our own version of the same?

  2. Re: Comparison between the MINIX and L4 micro kernels

    Hi,
    We no doubt have a lot many micro kernels around. But each vary with
    their goal. Some may want performance while some may look at
    security...here in minix, we wanted reliability the most...as
    Tanenbaum says...we want our computer to be like our TV in all
    respect, i.e. in terms of reliability...(other factors also keeping in
    mind, like security and performance...). Hence we have a new kind of
    micro kernel...Self recovering is another beautiful feature of this
    micro kernel...I hope this clarifies our doubt (why one more micro
    kernel?) a bit...more on the differences and similarities with other
    micro kernels can be found in the papers listed in minix.org...

    Thanks
    Srinu.

+ Reply to Thread