Adding a feature to Minix - Minix

This is a discussion on Adding a feature to Minix - Minix ; Hi All; I want to add a feature to the minix OS as my OS course project. I want to make the users able to put password on directories. Can any one tell me what to do and where to ...

  1. Adding a feature to Minix

    Hi All;
    I want to add a feature to the minix OS as my OS course project. I
    want to make the users able to put password on directories. Can any
    one tell me what to do and where to start from? And also how can I
    compile the modules?

    thanks
    Seyed Abbas Sadat

  2. Re: Adding a feature to Minix

    On Jul 17, 5:44 am, abbas.sa...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi All;
    > I want to add a feature to the minix OS as my OS course project. I
    > want to make the users able to put password on directories. Can any
    > one tell me what to do and where to start from?

    First off, plan out how you want passworded directories to work. Once
    you have this done, you can identify what and where to make changes to
    the system.

    Think of things like
    - what you want to happen for each directory operation
    - when a valid password is given
    - when an invalid password is given
    - where to store the password for each directory
    - how to set the password
    - how the utilities pass a password to the system for testing against
    the directory password

    >From there, you can identify the kernel operations and data structures

    (such as inode layout and contents, and the functions that manipulate
    it), which standard library functions, and which utilities you will
    have to change.

    Come back when you've got that far, and we'll give you more advice and
    assistance

+ Reply to Thread