Does Minix support booting from External hard disk(USB) - Minix

This is a discussion on Does Minix support booting from External hard disk(USB) - Minix ; Hi I installed Minix 3 on a 4 GB Hard disk,everything went fine and the installation happened. Now I remove the hard disk and put it an external casing to get it booted from USB 2.0 ,but it does not ...

  1. Does Minix support booting from External hard disk(USB)

    Hi

    I installed Minix 3 on a 4 GB Hard disk,everything went fine and the
    installation happened.
    Now I remove the hard disk and put it an external casing to get it
    booted from USB 2.0 ,but it does not boot and
    gives a Kernel Panic error.
    Does Minix support booting from USB ?,if yes how to go about it.

    -Rajeev

  2. Re: Does Minix support booting from External hard disk(USB)

    Rajeev wrote:
    > Hi

    > I installed Minix 3 on a 4 GB Hard disk,everything went fine and the
    > installation happened.
    > Now I remove the hard disk and put it an external casing to get it
    > booted from USB 2.0 ,but it does not boot and
    > gives a Kernel Panic error.
    > Does Minix support booting from USB ?,if yes how to go about it.

    Hello,

    Although Minix has no native USB support, it does support booting from an
    USB drive if the BIOS supports it. There even is a special image on the
    web site that is specifically made for booting from an USB drive. It
    likely has some special settings or kernel modifications so that the
    kernel doesn't panic when it does not find the operating system on the
    hard drive (since it can't detect the hard drive through USB). I don't
    know if you can find some information on the USB image specifics, but I
    suggest you look into that.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  3. Re: Does Minix support booting from External hard disk(USB)

    In article <1183649073.404718.173280@r34g2000hsd.googlegroups. com>,
    Rajeev wrote:
    >Hi
    >
    >I installed Minix 3 on a 4 GB Hard disk,everything went fine and the
    >installation happened.
    >Now I remove the hard disk and put it an external casing to get it
    >booted from USB 2.0 ,but it does not boot and
    >gives a Kernel Panic error.
    >Does Minix support booting from USB ?,if yes how to go about it.

    You need the BIOS driver.

    In boot monitor menu, set the variable 'bios_wini' to 'yes'.