Which version of Minix to use? - Minix

This is a discussion on Which version of Minix to use? - Minix ; I have a pre-IDE hard drive that I want to pull the data from. I used Minix in the early nineties, but haven't kept up with it, but I see that version 3 requires IDE drives. So, I need some ...

  1. Which version of Minix to use?

    I have a pre-IDE hard drive that I want to pull the data from. I used
    Minix in the early nineties, but haven't kept up with it, but I see
    that version 3 requires IDE drives. So, I need some direction.

    I'd like to boot the box (386 40 Mhz) with an older Minix, mount the
    MS-DOS hard drive (130 MB), and simply image the partition across an
    ISA ethernet card to another machine. There's not much room on the
    old hard drive, so I need to boot from a floppy.

    Does this sound do-able? If so, what version of Minix?

  2. Re: Which version of Minix to use?

    In article <1183645064.960434.27970@q69g2000hsb.googlegroups.c om>,
    Dan wrote:
    >I have a pre-IDE hard drive that I want to pull the data from. I used
    >Minix in the early nineties, but haven't kept up with it, but I see
    >that version 3 requires IDE drives. So, I need some direction.
    >
    >I'd like to boot the box (386 40 Mhz) with an older Minix, mount the
    >MS-DOS hard drive (130 MB), and simply image the partition across an
    >ISA ethernet card to another machine. There's not much room on the
    >old hard drive, so I need to boot from a floppy.
    >
    >Does this sound do-able? If so, what version of Minix?

    Minix 3 will probably work with MFM or RLL controllers, but that has not been
    tested.

    However, Minix 3 does require an IDE CD-ROM drive to install.

    If you have to run from floppy, get 2.0.4 (though I don't know about
    networking support) or get Minix-vmd.