Porting a lightweight DNS server - Minix

This is a discussion on Porting a lightweight DNS server - Minix ; I am not a C programmer but I would like to try and port a tiny lightweight DNS server called SheerDNS ( http://threading.2038bug.com/ sheerdns/) It is strict Ansi C and the includes are: #include #include #include #include #include #include #include ...

  1. Porting a lightweight DNS server

    I am not a C programmer but I would like to try and port a tiny
    lightweight DNS server called SheerDNS (http://threading.2038bug.com/
    sheerdns/)
    It is strict Ansi C and the includes are:
    #include
    #include
    #include
    #include
    #include
    #include
    #include
    #include
    #include
    #include
    #include
    #include
    #include
    #include
    #include
    #include

    All of these are present in usr/src/include[/sys/] from what I can
    see. Before I start, are there anyone that can see already that I
    would face big problems/issues porting this src to Minix? Or can this
    be done "pretty easy"
    The server is very simple and lightweight. Zonerecords are stored "one
    record per one file basis" Should be a good companion to Minix.

  2. Re: Porting a lightweight DNS server

    tim@clicksy.org wrote:
    > I am not a C programmer but I would like to try and port a tiny
    > lightweight DNS server called SheerDNS (http://threading.2038bug.com/
    > sheerdns/)
    > The server is very simple and lightweight. Zonerecords are stored "one
    > record per one file basis" Should be a good companion to Minix.

    Include also (for fd_set)
    Compile it with : cc -c -D_POSIX_SOURCE sheerdns.c
    But I'm little afraid that it works because of the socket function.

    Good luck and best regards!

  3. Re: Porting a lightweight DNS server

    Thanks for the I did run into problems on fd_set(fdset, FD_SET,
    FD_ISSET, FD_ZERO)
    I'll work further on it tomorrow. It makes a good exercise and refresher of
    old knowledge :-)
    I talked to the developer of sheerdns and he expressed some willingness to
    help out on porting djbdns to minix. dbdns would of course, in most cases, be
    a better solution. sheerdns allows real-time manipulation of data.

    Benny wrote:
    >tim@clicksy.org wrote:-= No one is more black than Blackmore =-

  4. Re: Porting a lightweight DNS server

    Tim wrote:
    > Thanks for the I did run into problems on fd_set(fdset, FD_SET,
    > FD_ISSET, FD_ZERO)

    I can compile that stuff without problems. But the main problem
    is the socket function (sockutil.c).
    An example :

    $ ./sheerdns -p 53 -i 192.168.0.12
    setsockopt() failed: Illegal ioctl for device

    I guess that means inet functions are not compatible.
    But I'm not sure with this, just a guess.

    For your help, just include the select.h in your sheerdns.c

    Compile your C Sources with cc -c -D_POSIX_SOURCE filename.c

    Link everything :
    cc -o sheerdns dir.o hash.o sheerdns.o sockutil.o strutil.o

    I know it's quick and dirty.

  5. Re: Porting a lightweight DNS server

    Benny skrev:
    > Tim wrote:
    >> Thanks for the I did run into problems on fd_set(fdset, FD_SET,
    >> FD_ISSET, FD_ZERO)

    > I can compile that stuff without problems. But the main problem
    > is the socket function (sockutil.c).
    > An example :
    >
    > $ ./sheerdns -p 53 -i 192.168.0.12
    > setsockopt() failed: Illegal ioctl for device
    >
    > I guess that means inet functions are not compatible.
    > But I'm not sure with this, just a guess.
    >
    > For your help, just include the select.h in your sheerdns.c
    >
    > Compile your C Sources with cc -c -D_POSIX_SOURCE filename.c
    >
    > Link everything :
    > cc -o sheerdns dir.o hash.o sheerdns.o sockutil.o strutil.o
    >
    > I know it's quick and dirty.

    Yes, I get the illegal ioctl also. The function is not big so I'll have
    a go at it and see if I'm able to redo the code. If it can be done in
    minix...

    Is anyone here aware of other projects porting any dns package to Minix?

    -tim

+ Reply to Thread