Lance driver - Minix

This is a discussion on Lance driver - Minix ; Appriciate if someone could help me with this small question. Is the current Minix3 bundled Lance NIC driver the same as the Debian Lance NIC driver? Direct port? Thanks -tim...

  1. Lance driver

    Appriciate if someone could help me with this small question. Is the
    current Minix3 bundled Lance NIC driver the same as the Debian Lance
    NIC driver? Direct port?

    Thanks

    -tim

  2. Re: Lance driver

    On Jul 2, 5:48 pm, t...@clicksy.org wrote:
    > Appriciate if someone could help me with this small question. Is the
    > current Minix3 bundled Lance NIC driver the same as the Debian Lance
    > NIC driver? Direct port?

    I am not sure what may have happened in going from Minix 2 to Minix 3,
    but I believe most Minix 3 drivers are derived from the Minix 2
    versions. In the case of the Lance driver a note on my site (http://
    minix1.woodhull.com/pub/contrib/204ether.txt) indicates that the Minix
    2 Lance driver was developed by Kazuya KODAMA, who based it on the
    original Minix dp8390 drivers.

    - Al

  3. Re: Lance driver

    On Jul 3, 12:37 am, Al Woodhull wrote:
    > On Jul 2, 5:48 pm, t...@clicksy.org wrote:
    >
    > > Appriciate if someone could help me with this small question. Is the
    > > current Minix3 bundled Lance NIC driver the same as the Debian Lance
    > > NIC driver? Direct port?

    > I am not sure what may have happened in going from Minix 2 to Minix 3,
    > but I believe most Minix 3 drivers are derived from the Minix 2
    > versions. In the case of the Lance driver a note on my site (http://
    > minix1.woodhull.com/pub/contrib/204ether.txt) indicates that the Minix
    > 2 Lance driver was developed by Kazuya KODAMA, who based it on the
    > original Minix dp8390 drivers.
    >
    > - Al

    Thanks for the answer Al. I did a little more digging. It seems the
    Debian Lance driver provides support for Allied Telesis (Telesyn)
    cards. Among them the AT-2500TX which is a 8139 (revision A or B)
    based card. Odd naming by Debian there, since most know the AMD chip
    as the "Lance" chip.

+ Reply to Thread