Using a GNOME/KDE on Minix - Minix

This is a discussion on Using a GNOME/KDE on Minix - Minix ; I've been reading through some of the older threads on this group, and I confess that I'm a tad confused about the status of getting a GUI like GNOME or KDE running on Minix. Is there a technical reason that ...

  1. Using a GNOME/KDE on Minix

    I've been reading through some of the older threads on this group, and
    I confess that I'm a tad confused about the status of getting a GUI
    like GNOME or KDE running on Minix.

    Is there a technical reason that GNOME or KDE is not offered on Minix,
    or is the lack of this option due to design decisions?

    I found this line in the archive:
    "GNOME would not run on Minix -- each binary would have to be at LEAST
    100MB
    due to nu shared libs."
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....279e2ddfdfff47

    What does that mean?

    I'm sincerely asking for help on this issue. I freely admit my
    questions might be stupid, but I would deeply appreciate any answers
    given.

    Regards

    Shane

  2. Re: Using a GNOME/KDE on Minix

    > What does that mean?

    Minix is a small OS on which, when compared to others like Linux, only
    very little manhours have been spent. This means some features are
    lacking, which makes porting more difficult.

    The most noticable missing feature right now is virtual memory. This
    means that you need to specify how much memory an application will be
    using before running it. This means that typically a lot of memory is
    wasted unless much effort is spent on finetuning the chmem arguments.
    Applications that use graphics are especially effected by this, so they
    typically require huge amounts of memory to be run on Minix.

    Another complication (which you seem to refer to) is that Minix does
    not support dynamic loading of libraries. Some other features, like
    shared memory and setitimer are also missing (the latter probably
    because creating this is an exercise for the Operating Systems
    practical at the VU).

    Things may get better when virtual memory is completed; i believe that
    is being worked on at the moment.

+ Reply to Thread