distributed operating system - Minix

This is a discussion on distributed operating system - Minix ; Hi, So far , I have only seen normal operating system like windows,linux , BSD and so on..(ie installed on a single machine and working independently) I came know about operating systems like Amoeba which they say to be distributed ...

  1. distributed operating system

    Hi,
    So far , I have only seen normal operating system like
    windows,linux , BSD and so on..(ie installed on a single machine and
    working independently)

    I came know about operating systems like Amoeba which they say to
    be distributed operating system. I am confused, in which machine will
    really be this operating system installed ( as we will be having a
    number of machines in the system )

  2. Re: distributed operating system

    On 28 apr, 22:17, bina...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    > So far , I have only seen normal operating system like
    > windows,linux , BSD and so on..(ie installed on a single machine and
    > working independently)
    >
    > I came know about operating systems like Amoeba which they say to
    > be distributed operating system. I am confused, in which machine will
    > really be this operating system installed ( as we will be having a
    > number of machines in the system )

    I hope it's not off topic in this NG, but Modern Operating Systems, is
    a great book on the subject:

    http://www.cs.vu.nl/~ast/books/mos2/

    The book has also been translated to several other languages (I've got
    the Dutch version for instance).

    If you want to fiddle around with Amoeba, check out the homepage
    homepage:

    http://www.cs.vu.nl/pub/amoeba/amftp_intro.html

    Simply read the FAQ, which is very useful and a nice read.

    Regards,

    Marti

+ Reply to Thread