Load files into memory - Minix

This is a discussion on Load files into memory - Minix ; We need to load complete files into the process memory. We don't exatcly know what can be the maximum size for files to be loaded into memory nor where it can be loaded. Maybe in the data segment? How can ...

  1. Load files into memory

    We need to load complete files into the process memory.

    We don't exatcly know what can be the maximum size for files to be
    loaded into memory nor where it can be loaded. Maybe in the data
    segment?

    How can we do it?

    Thanks a lot

  2. Re: Load files into memory

    > We need to load complete files into the process memory.
    >
    > We don't exatcly know what can be the maximum size for files to be
    > loaded into memory nor where it can be loaded. Maybe in the data
    > segment?
    >
    > How can we do it?

    This is done using the POSIX calls, exactly the same way as in other
    Unices. The only complication is that you need to use chmem if it
    doesn't fit in the available memory, since Minix doesn't have virtual
    memory.

  3. Re: Load files into memory

    On 28 abr, 21:14, "Erik van der Kouwe" wrote:
    > > We need to load complete files into the process memory.

    > > We don't exatcly know what can be the maximum size for files to be
    > > loaded into memory nor where it can be loaded. Maybe in the data
    > > segment?

    > > How can we do it?

    > This is done using the POSIX calls, exactly the same way as in other
    > Unices. The only complication is that you need to use chmem if it
    > doesn't fit in the available memory, since Minix doesn't have virtual
    > memory.

    Thank you very much erik,

    We'll try to do it as you recommend. In case of gettin in trouble
    again we'd write back.

    See you

+ Reply to Thread