Does MINIX3 support Multi-core architectures? - Minix

This is a discussion on Does MINIX3 support Multi-core architectures? - Minix ; It's interesting to know if MINIX3 support multi-core CPUs, for example AMD Opteron dual and Intel Xeon CPUs. Can anyone give me the answer. Thanks in advance!!!...

  1. Does MINIX3 support Multi-core architectures?

    It's interesting to know if MINIX3 support multi-core CPUs, for
    example AMD Opteron dual and Intel Xeon CPUs. Can anyone give me the
    answer. Thanks in advance!!!

  2. Re: Does MINIX3 support Multi-core architectures?

    > It's interesting to know if MINIX3 support multi-core CPUs, for
    > example AMD Opteron dual and Intel Xeon CPUs. Can anyone give me the
    > answer. Thanks in advance!!!

    Minix should support the CPUs, but will only use the first core.

    I think building support for multi-CPU (which is really what multi-core
    looks like for the OS) would require massive changes to the kernel.
    Besides adding the initialization code for the additional CPUs, all
    kernel data structures would need to be protected against concurrent
    access.

+ Reply to Thread