X-WINDOWS "SUCCESS" FINALLY - Minix

This is a discussion on X-WINDOWS "SUCCESS" FINALLY - Minix ; When minix installed minix grabbed 135000000 bytes of memory, and Xorg would not start. chmem to 80000000 and Xorg produced an login window, but would start. chmem => and added small amounts of memory until Xorg stopped responding. Since Xorg ...

  1. X-WINDOWS "SUCCESS" FINALLY

    When minix installed minix grabbed 135000000 bytes of memory, and Xorg
    would not start. chmem to 80000000 and Xorg produced an login window,
    but would start. chmem => and added small amounts of memory until
    Xorg stopped responding.

    Since Xorg worked better at 80000000 bytes, I thought "what the hell"
    and chmem to 50000000 bytes and Xorg booted up and now gives a very
    nice terminal which works wondefully well. As we say here in
    wonderland, I'm a happy camper

    I suppose the little mailbox is when and if I get mail? Which I won't
    because the machine doesn't have a supported NIC, but that's alright
    because I don't read the email I already receive so don't email to
    congradulate me.

    Regards from the happy camper:

    moose

  2. Re: X-WINDOWS "SUCCESS" FINALLY

    "moose" writes:

    > When minix installed minix grabbed 135000000 bytes of memory, and Xorg
    > would not start. chmem to 80000000 and Xorg produced an login window,
    > but would start. chmem => and added small amounts of memory until
    > Xorg stopped responding.
    >
    > Since Xorg worked better at 80000000 bytes, I thought "what the hell"
    > and chmem to 50000000 bytes and Xorg booted up and now gives a very
    > nice terminal which works wondefully well. As we say here in
    > wonderland, I'm a happy camper

    Ah.

    I think there is an explanation for that: Think about what happens to
    memory during fork() when there is no vfork() and no virtual
    memory. xdm probably fork/execs at least once (and in the process
    copies megabytes of memory for nothing -- I vote for a fast arrival of
    virtual memory :-) ).

    Regards -- Markus

  3. Re: X-WINDOWS "SUCCESS" FINALLY

    How can exit by X11 in minix?
    I try exit , and shutdown and restart by shell but nothing.
    Markus E Leypold ha scritto:

    > "moose" writes:
    >
    > > When minix installed minix grabbed 135000000 bytes of memory, and Xorg
    > > would not start. chmem to 80000000 and Xorg produced an login window,
    > > but would start. chmem => and added small amounts of memory until
    > > Xorg stopped responding.
    > >
    > > Since Xorg worked better at 80000000 bytes, I thought "what the hell"
    > > and chmem to 50000000 bytes and Xorg booted up and now gives a very
    > > nice terminal which works wondefully well. As we say here in
    > > wonderland, I'm a happy camper

    > Ah.
    >
    > I think there is an explanation for that: Think about what happens to
    > memory during fork() when there is no vfork() and no virtual
    > memory. xdm probably fork/execs at least once (and in the process
    > copies megabytes of memory for nothing -- I vote for a fast arrival of
    > virtual memory :-) ).
    >
    > Regards -- Markus

  4. Re: X-WINDOWS "SUCCESS" FINALLY

    Hello,

    > How can exit by X11 in minix?
    > I try exit , and shutdown and restart by shell but nothing.

    The combination Ctrl+Alt+BackSpace kills the X-Server.
    Another way is to close every application (including the window manager,
    whichever it is).

    Both don't help when running xdm as it will restart the X server whenever it
    gets shut down. You could kill every instance of xdm and afterwards kill the
    X server, but that's no good idea.

    If you just want to switch back to your virtual consoles, you can do it
    using Ctrl+Alt+Fn.

    Regards,
    Sebastian

  5. Re: X-WINDOWS "SUCCESS" FINALLY

    All,

    On 2007-04-17, Sebastian wrote:
    > Both don't help when running xdm as it will restart the X server whenever it
    > gets shut down. You could kill every instance of xdm and afterwards kill the
    > X server, but that's no good idea.

    In the Minix X port, an xdm key combo was introduced to get out of xdm
    easily - CTRL+R.

    However, the OP's reboot, shutdown, etc. should also work of course..

    > If you just want to switch back to your virtual consoles, you can do it
    > using Ctrl+Alt+Fn.

    That isn't supported in the Minix X port though.

    =Ben

  6. Re: X-WINDOWS "SUCCESS" FINALLY

    > In the Minix X port, an xdm key combo was introduced to get out of xdm
    > easily - CTRL+R.

    Oh, I didn't know that.

    > > If you just want to switch back to your virtual consoles, you can do it
    > > using Ctrl+Alt+Fn.

    > That isn't supported in the Minix X port though.

    Neither did I know that.

    Sorry for inconveniences.

    Regards,
    Sebastian

  7. Re: X-WINDOWS "SUCCESS" FINALLY

    On Apr 17, 7:57 am, Markus E Leypold
    wrote:
    > "moose" writes:
    > > When minix installed minix grabbed 135000000 bytes of memory, and Xorg
    > > would not start. chmem to 80000000 and Xorg produced an login window,
    > > but would start. chmem => and added small amounts of memory until
    > > Xorg stopped responding.

    > > Since Xorg worked better at 80000000 bytes, I thought "what the hell"
    > > and chmem to 50000000 bytes and Xorg booted up and now gives a very
    > > nice terminal which works wondefully well. As we say here in
    > > wonderland, I'm a happy camper

    > Ah.
    >
    > I think there is an explanation for that: Think about what happens to
    > memory during fork() when there is no vfork() and no virtual
    > memory. xdm probably fork/execs at least once (and in the process
    > copies megabytes of memory for nothing -- I vote for a fast arrival of
    > virtual memory :-) ).
    >
    > Regards -- Markus

    Hi Markus:

    Do you believe the same forking take place when startX is used

    Regards :: moose

+ Reply to Thread