Installation of packages without easypack or packman - Minix

This is a discussion on Installation of packages without easypack or packman - Minix ; I have installed Minix 3.1.0 (not the 3.1.2 because the istallation procedure seem does not work good on my laptop), now I would want to install the X11 package (and others packages like gcc, vi...) but... when i try to ...

  1. Installation of packages without easypack or packman

    I have installed Minix 3.1.0 (not the 3.1.2 because the istallation
    procedure seem does not work good on my laptop), now I would want to
    install the X11 package (and others packages like gcc, vi...) but...
    when i try to launch packman I obtain a "packman: no such file or
    directory" message, therefore I imagine that Minix 3.1.0 installation
    procedure has not installed packman. I have also tryed to install a
    package taken from a boot cd with easypack but I obtain always the
    same error message of corrupted archive... is possible that all the
    packages are corrupts?
    Therefore the question are... how I can install packages on Minix
    without packman or easypack? Or better, if I take a package from the
    boot cd of minix (3.1.2) how I can install it manually?

    Thanks for any aid you can give to me... :-|

  2. Re: Installation of packages without easypack or packman

    "polarbear" writes:

    > I have installed Minix 3.1.0 (not the 3.1.2 because the istallation
    > procedure seem does not work good on my laptop), now I would want to
    > install the X11 package (and others packages like gcc, vi...) but...
    > when i try to launch packman I obtain a "packman: no such file or
    > directory" message, therefore I imagine that Minix 3.1.0 installation
    > procedure has not installed packman. I have also tryed to install a
    > package taken from a boot cd with easypack but I obtain always the
    > same error message of corrupted archive... is possible that all the
    > packages are corrupts?
    > Therefore the question are... how I can install packages on Minix
    > without packman or easypack? Or better, if I take a package from the
    > boot cd of minix (3.1.2) how I can install it manually?

    I have to pass on that question: This is very Minix 3.x specific and I
    still haven't got around doing much with 3.x except installing it some
    times and booting and regressing to my childhood in the process (Minix
    was the very first Unix I was ever root in :-).

    Have you had a look into usage(8) that comes with your version of
    Minix, how X is supposed to be installed with that version? I'm not
    even sure packman existed in 3.1.0.

    Regards -- Markus

  3. Re: Installation of packages without easypack or packman

    On Apr 14, 7:47 am, "polarbear" wrote:
    > I have installed Minix 3.1.0 (not the 3.1.2 because the istallation
    > procedure seem does not work good on my laptop), now I would want to
    > install the X11 package (and others packages like gcc, vi...)

    Minix 3.1.0 is the "book" version of Minix 3. It's a great version for
    learning OS principles, but it was completed in somewhat of a rush to
    meet the publication schedule of the text. The emphasis was on
    finishing a working system that would complement the book. Many
    features that were required to add support for the larger packages
    such as X11 and gcc were not yet part of Minix at the time 3.1.0 was
    completed in early October 2005.

    X11, in particular, just will not work with Minix 3.1.0. I am not sure
    about gcc, but I suspect you will find it much more satisfactory if
    you can first install a newer release of Minix 3. In general I think
    it is safe to say that just about any major package that worked with
    Minix 3.1.0 was already present in the 3.1.0 iso image, and anything
    that was not in the CD-ROM package really needs a newer version.

    With regard to vi, I think it is present in Minix 3.1.0, in the form
    of the vi clone elvis. Elvis as been part of the Minix distribution
    since Minix 1. At one point I think Ben experimented with putting
    another vi clone, vim, into the Minix 3 distribution. Look for elvis
    or vim. If you find one of these, just make a link to the name vi, and
    you will have vi (or a reasonable substitute).

    - Al

+ Reply to Thread