MINIX 3.1.3 - Minix

This is a discussion on MINIX 3.1.3 - Minix ; MINIX 3.1.3 is out. It is not considered a stable release. It is intended as an interim release for developers and experienced users who wish to see what the cutting edge of MINIX is. Once you are running 3.1.3, it's ...

  1. MINIX 3.1.3

    MINIX 3.1.3 is out. It is not considered a stable release. It is
    intended as an interim release for developers and experienced users
    who wish to see what the cutting edge of MINIX is. Once you are
    running 3.1.3, it's easy to track the 'current' source and so
    stay on the cutting edge.

    There are caveats, new visible features, significant internal changes,
    and many bugfixes. For full release notes, see

    To download it, see

    For a full changelog, see

    Enjoy!

    =Ben

  2. Re: MINIX 3.1.3

    On 4月14日, 上午2时38分, Ben Gras wrote:
    > MINIX 3.1.3 is out. It is not considered a stable release. It is
    > intended as an interim release for developers and experienced users
    > who wish to see what the cutting edge of MINIX is. Once you are
    > running 3.1.3, it's easy to track the 'current' source and so
    > stay on the cutting edge.
    >
    > There are caveats, new visible features, significant internal changes,
    > and many bugfixes. For full release notes, see
    >

    > To download it, see
    >

    > For a full changelog, see
    >

    > Enjoy!
    >
    > =Ben

    Congradulations!~~~
    I read comp.os.minix everyday on my mobile phone, I hope minix would
    be a really "magic" OS~~~

  3. Re: MINIX 3.1.3

    To update, will it suffice to rebuild the new sources from /usr/src?

    Leslie

  4. Re: MINIX 3.1.3

    All,

    > To update, will it suffice to rebuild the new sources from /usr/src?

    Yes, once you have installed 3.1.3 you can upgrade painlessly from source.

    If you have 3.1.2a installed, it's a tricky and risky procedure to
    upgrade to 3.1.3 from source, because of several binary
    incompatibilities that have accumulated over time. (Although, yes, in
    principle it is enough to rebuild the new sources from /usr/src.) There
    is a doc/UPDATING file you can follow, but if at all possible I suggest
    upgrading using the 3.1.3 CD - that is one of its main purposes.

    =Ben

  5. Re: MINIX 3.1.3

    On Apr 13, 11:38 am, Ben Gras wrote:
    > MINIX 3.1.3 is out. It is not considered a stable release. It is
    > intended as an interim release for developers and experienced users
    > who wish to see what the cutting edge of MINIX is. Once you are
    > running 3.1.3, it's easy to track the 'current' source and so
    > stay on the cutting edge.
    >
    > There are caveats, new visible features, significant internal changes,
    > and many bugfixes. For full release notes, see
    >

    > To download it, see
    >

    > For a full changelog, see
    >

    > Enjoy!
    >
    > =Ben

    YES! I have been waiting for this update for a long time! Thanks
    guys!

    James T. Sprinkle (The Grue)

  6. Re: MINIX 3.1.3

    All,

    Also, as of today we're building weekly snapshots of MINIX. See

    (This interface will probably get a bit fancier. Also the build
    schedule isn't set in stone.)

    The first test image is there already.

    The subversion revision number is in the filename, also printed at boot
    time, so you can tell exactly which MINIX you're running (it calls
    itself 3.1.3 because that's the latest release, but don't believe that).

    =Ben

  7. Re: MINIX 3.1.3

    On 13 邪锌褉, 22:38, Ben Gras wrote:
    > MINIX 3.1.3 is out. It is not considered a stable release.
    > Enjoy!
    > =Ben

    http://www.minix3.org/download/ contains uncompressed ISO image.
    Is it possible to publish compressed image (zip/bz2)?

    Best regards, Eugene Agafonov.

  8. Re: MINIX 3.1.3

    All,

    On 2007-04-17, E.Agafonov wrote:
    > http://www.minix3.org/download/ contains uncompressed ISO image.
    > Is it possible to publish compressed image (zip/bz2)?

    Sure, done.

    =Ben

  9. Re: MINIX 3.1.3

    On Apr 17, 5:49 pm, Ben Gras wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > Also, as of today we're building weekly snapshots of MINIX. See
    >
    > (This interface will probably get a bit fancier. Also the build
    > schedule isn't set in stone.)
    >
    > The first test image is there already.
    >
    > The subversion revision number is in the filename, also printed at boot
    > time, so you can tell exactly which MINIX you're running (it calls
    > itself 3.1.3 because that's the latest release, but don't believe that).
    >
    > =Ben

    I got panic during dp8390 loading under QEMU (v0.9.0 and 0.8.2)
    Panic is fixed by specifing
    dp8390_args='DPETH0=10EC:11'
    in /usr/etc/rc.local

    I hope it will help if someone have such problems also.

    Best regards, Eugene Agafonov.

  10. Re: MINIX 3.1.3

    In article ,
    Ben Gras wrote:

    > MINIX 3.1.3 is out. It is not considered a stable release. It is
    > intended as an interim release for developers and experienced users
    > who wish to see what the cutting edge of MINIX is. Once you are
    > running 3.1.3, it's easy to track the 'current' source and so
    > stay on the cutting edge.
    >
    > There are caveats, new visible features, significant internal changes,
    > and many bugfixes. For full release notes, see
    >

    > To download it, see
    >

    > For a full changelog, see
    >

    > Enjoy!
    >
    > =Ben

    Nice additions. Is virtual memory on the to-do list?

    --
    Philip Machanick

  11. Re: MINIX 3.1.3

    On 14 Apr., 18:39, Ben Gras wrote:

    > If you have 3.1.2a installed, it's a tricky and risky procedure to
    > upgrade to 3.1.3 from source, because of several binary
    > incompatibilities that have accumulated over time. (Although, yes, in
    > principle it is enough to rebuild the new sources from /usr/src.) There
    > is a doc/UPDATING file you can follow, but if at all possible I suggest
    > upgrading using the 3.1.3 CD - that is one of its main purposes.

    Is it?

    AFAICS it will overwrite everything except /home, which includes /etc
    and /root.
    Do I really need to backup and restore /etc and /root?

    Leslie

  12. Re: MINIX 3.1.3

    All,

    On 2007-04-20, Leslie P. Polzer wrote:
    >> but if at all possible I suggest
    >> upgrading using the 3.1.3 CD - that is one of its main purposes.

    > Is it?
    >
    > AFAICS it will overwrite everything except /home, which includes /etc
    > and /root.

    True.

    > Do I really need to backup and restore /etc and /root?

    Fraid so.

    =Ben

  13. Re: MINIX 3.1.3

    All,

    On 2007-04-19, E.Agafonov wrote:
    > I got panic during dp8390 loading under QEMU (v0.9.0 and 0.8.2)
    > Panic is fixed by specifing
    > dp8390_args='DPETH0=10EC:11'
    > in /usr/etc/rc.local
    >
    > I hope it will help if someone have such problems also.

    Thanks for your bug report - this is due to a slight change in the
    interface functions with the pci server. This is fixed in the latest
    svn.

    =Ben

+ Reply to Thread