cross-platform GNU toolchain - Minix

This is a discussion on cross-platform GNU toolchain - Minix ; Dear Minix developers! I'd like to report that 20 minutes ago I've build cross-platform (Linux-to-minix3) GNU toolchain (binutils-2.16.1 + gcc-3.4.3) and successfully launched "HelloWorld" program using QEMU emulator. The build hosts are FedoraCore 6 (Linux). The target host is Minix-3.1.2a ...

  1. cross-platform GNU toolchain

    Dear Minix developers!

    I'd like to report that 20 minutes ago I've build cross-platform
    (Linux-to-minix3) GNU toolchain (binutils-2.16.1 + gcc-3.4.3) and
    successfully launched "HelloWorld" program using QEMU emulator.

    The build hosts are FedoraCore 6 (Linux). The target host is
    Minix-3.1.2a on QEMU.

    binutils and gcc compiler was compiled from source code downloaded
    from http://minix3.org
    A few minor changes in Makefiles are required to fix installation
    process.

    Best regards, Eugene Agafonov.

  2. Re: cross-platform GNU toolchain

    Here is the short description how to build cross-platfom GNU
    toolchain.
    It allows to build MINIX3 executables under Linux or Cygwin.

    1. Download source code of binutils for Minix3

    2. Download source code of gcc for Minix

    3. Modify gcc/Maikefile.in: remove last command line "Install -S ..."
    of targets "cc1$(exeext)" and "genattrtab$(build_exeext)"
    NOTE:
    These line was added during porting to Minix
    and are not requierd for Linux/Cygwin.

    4. Copy /usr/include/ansi.h and /usr/include/a.out.h into src-dir>/include

    5. Configure & build binutils
    configure --target=i386-pc-minix --prefix=
    & make & make install

    6. Add toolchain-install-path/bin into PATH

    7. Configure&build gcc
    configure --target=i386-pc-minix --prefix=
    & make & make install

    8. Copy headers from minix's /usr/include on build host.

    9. Copy libs and object files from minix's /usr/gnu/lib into
    /i386-pc-minix/lib

    10. Copy header files from from minix's /usr/include into install-path>/lib/gcc/i386-pc-minix/3.4.3/include

    11. Add toolchain-install-path/i386-pc-minix/bin into PATH to use
    plain names like "gcc" and "ld"
    to make Minix binary files.

  3. Re: cross-platform GNU toolchain

    E.Agafonov wrote:
    > Here is the short description how to build cross-platfom GNU
    > toolchain.
    > It allows to build MINIX3 executables under Linux or Cygwin.
    >
    > 1. Download source code of binutils for Minix3
    >
    > 2. Download source code of gcc for Minix
    >
    > 3. Modify gcc/Maikefile.in: remove last command line "Install -S ..."
    > of targets "cc1$(exeext)" and "genattrtab$(build_exeext)"
    > NOTE:
    > These line was added during porting to Minix
    > and are not requierd for Linux/Cygwin.
    >
    > 4. Copy /usr/include/ansi.h and /usr/include/a.out.h into > src-dir>/include
    >
    > 5. Configure & build binutils
    > configure --target=i386-pc-minix --prefix=
    > & make & make install
    >
    > 6. Add toolchain-install-path/bin into PATH
    >
    > 7. Configure&build gcc
    > configure --target=i386-pc-minix --prefix=
    > & make & make install
    >
    > 8. Copy headers from minix's /usr/include on build host.
    >
    > 9. Copy libs and object files from minix's /usr/gnu/lib into
    > /i386-pc-minix/lib
    >
    > 10. Copy header files from from minix's /usr/include into > install-path>/lib/gcc/i386-pc-minix/3.4.3/include
    >
    > 11. Add toolchain-install-path/i386-pc-minix/bin into PATH to use
    > plain names like "gcc" and "ld"
    > to make Minix binary files.

    This is somewhat above my skill level, however, your post gives me the
    urge to study and learn more about the many possabilities of Minix;
    Thank you.

    moose

  4. Re: cross-platform GNU toolchain

    On 9 Apr., 21:16, "E.Agafonov" wrote:

    > I'd like to report that 20 minutes ago I've build cross-platform
    > (Linux-to-minix3) GNU toolchain (binutils-2.16.1 + gcc-3.4.3) and
    > successfully launched "HelloWorld" program using QEMU emulator.

    Great, thank you! Maybe it's time to extend Cross-LinuxFromScratch
    to incorporate
    Minix as a target.

    Leslie

  5. Re: cross-platform GNU toolchain

    On Apr 11, 12:37 pm, "Leslie P. Polzer" wrote:
    > On 9 Apr., 21:16, "E.Agafonov" wrote:
    >
    > > I'd like to report that 20 minutes ago I've build cross-platform
    > > (Linux-to-minix3) GNU toolchain (binutils-2.16.1 + gcc-3.4.3) and
    > > successfully launched "HelloWorld" program using QEMU emulator.

    > Great, thank you! Maybe it's time to extend Cross-LinuxFromScratch
    > to incorporate
    > Minix as a target.
    >
    > Leslie

    I'm not sure that it is feasible to build whole Minix3 system from
    source using GCC compiler.
    At least the kernel contains a lot of assembler code for ACK compiler.

    More over, it is not Linux at all ;-)
    As I understand from http://trac.cross-lfs.org/ this project is
    intended to build Linux from common source tree for different HW
    platforms.
    The building different OS is out of scope of CLFS.

  6. Re: cross-platform GNU toolchain

    "E.Agafonov" writes:

    > On Apr 11, 12:37 pm, "Leslie P. Polzer" wrote:
    >> On 9 Apr., 21:16, "E.Agafonov" wrote:
    >>
    >> > I'd like to report that 20 minutes ago I've build cross-platform
    >> > (Linux-to-minix3) GNU toolchain (binutils-2.16.1 + gcc-3.4.3) and
    >> > successfully launched "HelloWorld" program using QEMU emulator.

    >> Great, thank you! Maybe it's time to extend Cross-LinuxFromScratch
    >> to incorporate
    >> Minix as a target.
    >>
    >> Leslie

    > I'm not sure that it is feasible to build whole Minix3 system from
    > source using GCC compiler.
    > At least the kernel contains a lot of assembler code for ACK compiler.

    There is ACK for Linux, though.

    Regards -- Markus

  7. Re: cross-platform GNU toolchain

    On Apr 11, 4:32 pm, "E.Agafonov" wrote:

    > As I understand from http://trac.cross-lfs.org/ this project is
    > intended to build Linux from common source tree for different HW
    > platforms.
    > The building different OS is out of scope of CLFS.

    Well, I suppose GNU/Minix would not be that much different from GNU/
    Linux,
    kernel and libc set aside.

    In the least case, it might warrant a fork from CLFS.

    Leslie

+ Reply to Thread