ELF support - Minix

This is a discussion on ELF support - Minix ; In the MSVC/COFF thread it was mentioned that Minix is tied down to the a.out format. I believe this to be a dead end, as modern systems almost exclusively rely on ELF support for both static and shared executables. Does ...

  1. ELF support

    In the MSVC/COFF thread it was mentioned that Minix is tied down to
    the
    a.out format. I believe this to be a dead end, as modern systems
    almost
    exclusively rely on ELF support for both static and shared
    executables.

    Does it make sense to support ELF in Minix, and what would it roughly
    take
    to implement it?

    Leslie

  2. Re: ELF support

    In article <1176109302.080838.228730@d57g2000hsg.googlegroups. com>,
    Leslie P. Polzer wrote:
    >Does it make sense to support ELF in Minix, and what would it roughly
    >take
    >to implement it?

    First of all you have to figure out how ELF works.

    Some time after the release of 3.1.2a, parsing executables was moved from
    PM to FS, so make sure that you track current, otherwise the changes
    will be lost.

    Find in FS the code that deals with executables, add a test for ELF next
    to the code for a.out and #!, and implement parsing an ELF executable
    and loading it into memory.

  3. Re: ELF support

    Leslie P. Polzer wrote:
    [...]
    > Does it make sense to support ELF in Minix

    [...]

    Currently, not really; ELF's big win is its built-in support for dynamic
    libraries, which Minix doesn't support yet. (I believe that it can't implement
    dynamic libraries at all until it gets a proper VM.)

    Currently, ELF executables are simply binary blobs with a header to tell the
    system how big the various segments are. The extra overhead of supportingELF
    is probably not worth it.

    --
    ┌── dg*cowlark.com ─── http://www.cowlark.com ──────────────── ──
    │ "Thou who might be our Father, who perhaps may be in Heaven, hallowed be

  4. Re: ELF support

    On Apr 10, 11:57 am, David Given wrote:
    > Leslie P. Polzer wrote:
    >
    > [...]> Does it make sense to support ELF in Minix
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > Currently, not really; ELF's big win is its built-in support for dynamic
    > libraries, which Minix doesn't support yet. (I believe that it can't implement
    > dynamic libraries at all until it gets a proper VM.)

    Do you mean shared libraries or dl_open()able libraries?

    After all, someone seems to be working on shared libraries,
    so it would be good to add an executable format that supports them.

    Anyway, since I already know a bunch about ELF, it might be
    a good thing for me to start working on support for it.

    Leslie

+ Reply to Thread