This is a discussion on loading minix fails - Minix ; I'm trying to setup minix and start playing but I'm unable to load and run minix. I have the 3.1.2a image burned to a cd and I can boot from it. I get to the point where i'm prompted for ...

    I'm trying to setup minix and start playing but I'm unable to load and
    run minix. I have the 3.1.2a image burned to a cd and I can boot from
    it. I get to the point where i'm prompted for a regular "16mb" for small
    "8mb" load. i've tried both. After making my choice it goes and starts
    data, and stack addresses for everything it is loading: kernel .... to
    init. At this point the system hangs.
    Does anyone have any ideas? Am I doing anyting fundamentally wrong?
    --
    Zack

  2. Re: loading minix fails

    Zack writes:

    > I'm trying to setup minix and start playing but I'm unable to load and
    > run minix. I have the 3.1.2a image burned to a cd and I can boot from
    > it. I get to the point where i'm prompted for a regular "16mb" for small
    > "8mb" load. i've tried both. After making my choice it goes and starts
    > data, and stack addresses for everything it is loading: kernel .... to
    > init. At this point the system hangs.

    > Does anyone have any ideas? Am I doing anyting fundamentally wrong?

    I seems the kernel is being loaded OK, but spawNing the gettys (the
    programs producing the login prompt) IS failing / messing up the
    console or whatever. Since I'm not even running Minix 3 at the moment
    I can only give generic advice, but let me ask: Which hardware do you
    run? Did you choose 8mb or 16mb setup?

    Regardless -- if the hardware is older and the problem is the
    initialization of the virtual ttys by the gettys, then it's perhaps
    that everything goes fine, but you only don't see the getty output any
    more. Try switching to soft scrolling (that WAS a F-key, you'll find
    it in the docs somewhere) and try to use ALT-F1 ... ALT-F4 to switch
    between virtual consoles and see if something happens.

    What do you really mean by "hang"? No error message etc? And what is
    the last message you actually see on the screen? Does the screen
    content go away or is it just that you don't get any output any more?

    Regards -- Markus

  3. Re: loading minix fails

    Markus E Leypold wrote:
    > Which hardware do you
    > run? Did you choose 8mb or 16mb setup?

    I have 1GB of memory, I'm using my standard PC, nothing is that old.
    I tried both the 8 and 16MB options.

    > Try switching to soft scrolling (that WAS a F-key, you'll find
    > it in the docs somewhere) and try to use ALT-F1 ... ALT-F4 to switch
    > between virtual consoles and see if something happens.

    What is soft scrolling? Attempting to switch between virtual consoles
    didn't do anything.

    > What do you really mean by "hang"? No error message etc? And what is
    > the last message you actually see on the screen? Does the screen
    > content go away or is it just that you don't get any output any more?

    There were no error messages. The last thing I saw was the line that
    shows the addresses and stack for init. A couple blank lines and then a
    blinking cursor. The screen wasn't cleared, I could still see the table
    of everything that was loaded, and where I was given an option for 8 or
    16MB. No more output came.

    I have gotten around it by using the book version but I still can't get
    the one from the website to run.

    --
    Zack

  4. Re: loading minix fails

    Zack writes:

    > Markus E Leypold wrote:
    >> Which hardware do you
    >> run? Did you choose 8mb or 16mb setup?

    > I have 1GB of memory, I'm using my standard PC, nothing is that old.
    > I tried both the 8 and 16MB options.

    :-).

    Perhaps it's too much memory :-). No -- only joking.

    >> Try switching to soft scrolling (that WAS a F-key, you'll find
    >> it in the docs somewhere) and try to use ALT-F1 ... ALT-F4 to switch
    >> between virtual consoles and see if something happens.

    > What is soft scrolling?

    Not using the scrolling mechanism in the card (yes things like this
    existed :-). There was a F-Key to turn scrolling to "soft" because
    some not quite compatible cards didn't work with the Minix driver in
    this respect.

    > Attempting to switch between virtual consoles
    > didn't do anything.

    Shouldn't at least the terminal prompts change?

    There is another F-key which dumps the processes to the terminal
    (F3?). Have a look into usage.txt about that and try it: If it works,
    the console is not completely f***ed up yet. If not, the kernel has
    either died for good or the console is shot. That at least would show
    the the problem is not one of just the getty's not worling, but
    somewhere deeper.

    >> What do you really mean by "hang"? No error message etc? And what is
    >> the last message you actually see on the screen? Does the screen
    >> content go away or is it just that you don't get any output any more?

    > There were no error messages. The last thing I saw was the line that
    > shows the addresses and stack for init.

    Im not sure what the state of things is, but in the past drivers
    talked to the console at least a bit. So that you only see the initial
    kernel message (or is it from the loader? -- At least before
    everything goes into protected mode) would indicate a deeper
    problem. Your CPU or chipset don't like this Minix version.

    > A couple blank lines and then a blinking cursor. The screen wasn't
    > cleared, I could still see the table of everything that was loaded,
    > and where I was given an option for 8 or 16MB. No more output came.

    The option probably comes form the boot monitor (it is asked before
    the kernel is initialised).

    > I have gotten around it by using the book version but I still can't get
    > the one from the website to run.

    Without help from someone who's actually knowledgable about this, we
    won't be able to resolve this. Mind: All my advice on 3.x is pretty
    generic, based mostly on what I read here and what I knew from 2.x,
    assuming that some things didn't change in 3.x. But this looks (a)
    eminently solvable and (b) like something someone of the development
    team should be interested in: It looks as if something has been
    changed in the kernel initialization or the loader from 3.1.0 to 3.1.2
    which keeps it from running with some new chipsets or CPUs.

    If you want to become a "real kernel hacker"[tm] cou could try diffing
    the kernel and boot loader sources of the 2 versions against each
    other and look what has changed.

    Regards -- Markus

+ Reply to Thread