Virtual memory design - Minix

This is a discussion on Virtual memory design - Minix ; I am planning on a virtual memory subsytem for Minix3.1.2a(just a hobby project) but I am a bit unclear about the design. Should I include it into the kernel.. robbing the existing code of its brilliance or should I make ...

  1. Virtual memory design

    I am planning on a virtual memory subsytem for Minix3.1.2a(just a
    hobby project) but I am a bit unclear about the design. Should I
    include it into the kernel.. robbing the existing code of its
    brilliance or should I make it as a separate server process(serious
    efficiency issue.. i think).

    Any pointers?

    -Sridhar

  2. Re: Virtual memory design

    In article <1175807537.739034.175070@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.c om>,
    "Sridhar" wrote:

    > I am planning on a virtual memory subsytem for Minix3.1.2a(just a
    > hobby project) but I am a bit unclear about the design. Should I
    > include it into the kernel.. robbing the existing code of its
    > brilliance or should I make it as a separate server process(serious
    > efficiency issue.. i think).
    >
    > Any pointers?

    You might want to look up some of the ideas in the Stanford V operating
    system -- including
    the idea of managing page replacement policy in user space
    .

    The short answer is you probably want the most performance-critical
    parts in the kernel, especially the hardware interface, for performance,
    but it would be interesting to explore how far you could go in
    implementing it outside the kernel.

    --
    Philip Machanick

+ Reply to Thread