Internet and minix - Minix

This is a discussion on Internet and minix - Minix ; Please tell my understanding is not correct! I've read: The only way to connect minix to the internet is to use VMWare or some similar type environment. When installing minix3 [several times on its own machine and therefore its own ...

  1. Internet and minix

    Please tell my understanding is not correct!

    I've read: The only way to connect minix to the internet is to use
    VMWare or some similar type environment.

    When installing minix3 [several times on its own machine and therefore
    its own single hard drive] {{internet DSL Service Verizon.net}} I
    selected the 3Com NIC. Of course at each install minix tells me it
    cannot connect to the internet, and It tells me the same thing after
    each new boot.

    What am I mising here. Will some one please set me straight on what's
    going on.

    Wayne

  2. Re: Internet and minix

    vanovert@verizon.net wrote:
    > Please tell my understanding is not correct!
    >
    > I've read: The only way to connect minix to the internet is to use
    > VMWare or some similar type environment.
    >
    > When installing minix3 [several times on its own machine and therefore
    > its own single hard drive] {{internet DSL Service Verizon.net}} I
    > selected the 3Com NIC. Of course at each install minix tells me it
    > cannot connect to the internet, and It tells me the same thing after
    > each new boot.
    >
    > What am I mising here. Will some one please set me straight on what's
    > going on.

    You need a router with a ethernet interface. It can handle the xDSL
    service and and setup routing for a local LAN.

    My Minix box has a board with a RTL8139 chipset that connects to a
    Netgear DG834 router so Minix has internet access.

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  3. Re: Internet and minix

    On Apr 4, 10:02 am, Giovanni wrote:
    > vanov...@verizon.net wrote:
    > > Please tell my understanding is not correct!

    > > I've read: The only way to connect minix to the internet is to use
    > > VMWare or some similar type environment.

    > > When installing minix3 [several times on its own machine and therefore
    > > its own single hard drive] {{internet DSL Service Verizon.net}} I
    > > selected the 3Com NIC. Of course at each install minix tells me it
    > > cannot connect to the internet, and It tells me the same thing after
    > > each new boot.

    > > What am I mising here. Will some one please set me straight on what's
    > > going on.

    > You need a router with a ethernet interface. It can handle the xDSL
    > service and and setup routing for a local LAN.
    >
    > My Minix box has a board with a RTL8139 chipset that connects to a
    > Netgear DG834 router so Minix has internet access.
    >
    > Ciao
    > Giovanni
    > --
    > A computer is like an air conditioner,
    > it stops working when you open Windows.
    > Registered Linux user #337974

    Thank you for your excellent reply:

    My Minix box has a board with an Intel Whitney chipset i810E. The NIC
    is 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI. The machine is connected to DSL
    through an ActionTec GT704WG 4-port router. This set up connects
    every linux and/or windows OS installed on this box. Is there some
    addition or change of setting needed to Minix.

    Wayne

  4. Re: Internet and minix

    vanovert@verizon.net wrote:

    > My Minix box has a board with an Intel Whitney chipset i810E. The NIC
    > is 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI. The machine is connected to DSL
    > through an ActionTec GT704WG 4-port router. This set up connects
    > every linux and/or windows OS installed on this box. Is there some
    > addition or change of setting needed to Minix.

    Minix does not support the 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI board.
    Minix supports only the 3c503 and 3c509, but these are old ISA boards.

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  5. Re: Internet and minix

    On Apr 7, 3:26 pm, Giovanni wrote:
    > vanov...@verizon.net wrote:
    > > My Minix box has a board with an Intel Whitney chipset i810E. The NIC
    > > is 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI. The machine is connected to DSL
    > > through an ActionTec GT704WG 4-port router. This set up connects
    > > every linux and/or windows OS installed on this box. Is there some
    > > addition or change of setting needed to Minix.

    > Minix does not support the 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI board.
    > Minix supports only the 3c503 and 3c509, but these are old ISA boards.
    >
    > Ciao
    > Giovanni
    > --
    > A computer is like an air conditioner,
    > it stops working when you open Windows.
    > Registered Linux user #337974

    Thank you.

    Minix is a great teaching tool. Minix has taken me to the command
    line and given me an undrstanding of the command line and UNIX. I
    will continue to use Minix to learn more about UNIX and command line
    structure. I'll not , however, pursue Internet nor X-Org usage.

    Thank you once again

    Wayne

  6. Re: Internet and minix

    vanovert@verizon.net wrote:

    > Thank you.
    >
    > Minix is a great teaching tool.
    > I'll not , however, pursue Internet nor X-Org usage.

    It will be an interesting challenge to write a driver if you are
    interested in studying the system.

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  7. Re: Internet and minix

    Giovanni wrote:
    > vanovert@verizon.net wrote:
    >

    > > Thank you.
    > >
    > > Minix is a great teaching tool.
    > > I'll not , however, pursue Internet nor X-Org usage.

    > It will be an interesting challenge to write a driver if you are
    > interested in studying the system.
    >
    > Ciao
    > Giovanni
    > --
    > A computer is like an air conditioner,
    > it stops working when you open Windows.
    > Registered Linux user #337974 < http://giovanni.homelinux.net/ >

    I'll continue to study UNIX, and MINIX in particular; however, I doubt
    that I will ever reach the level of understanding such that I can
    write the driver. But, we will see Oh! by the way where should I
    start An attempt at humor.

    Another thing I don't understand! Why does Minix3 installer offer a
    selection of different NIcs' when installing? When I installed
    Minix3 the installer offered two different 3Com NICs' ????
    ..
    Wayne

  8. Re: Internet and minix

    vanovert@verizon.net wrote:

    > I'll continue to study UNIX, and MINIX in particular; however, I doubt
    > that I will ever reach the level of understanding such that I can
    > write the driver. But, we will see Oh! by the way where should I
    > start An attempt at humor.

    The code in /usr/src/drivers for the available drivers is a good
    starting point. You'll also need the specifications for the board.
    3com makes them available in their sites, though I don't know if your
    board is in the list.

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  9. Re: Internet and minix

    Giovanni wrote:
    > vanovert@verizon.net wrote:
    >
    >> I'll continue to study UNIX, and MINIX in particular; however, I doubt
    >> that I will ever reach the level of understanding such that I can
    >> write the driver. But, we will see Oh! by the way where should I
    >> start An attempt at humor.

    > The code in /usr/src/drivers for the available drivers is a good
    > starting point. You'll also need the specifications for the board. 3com
    > makes them available in their sites, though I don't know if your board
    > is in the list.
    >
    > Ciao
    > Giovanni

    The xl driver from FreeBSD (or was is NetBSD?) supports that board -- in
    fact it support 63 different varieties of 3COM boards.

    Would be a hell of a leap in capability to port to Minix 3

+ Reply to Thread