No space on device 9/0 (/dev/rescue) - Minix

This is a discussion on No space on device 9/0 (/dev/rescue) - Minix ; First, just what *is* /dev/rescue? I looked in OSDI's index, but could find no reference. A quick peek at ../drivers/rescue/rescue.c didn't help much either ;-) Second, I am getting the "No space on device 9/0" error message after the termination ...

  1. No space on device 9/0 (/dev/rescue)

    First, just what *is* /dev/rescue? I looked in OSDI's index, but
    could find no reference. A quick peek at ../drivers/rescue/rescue.c
    didn't help much either ;-)

    Second, I am getting the "No space on device 9/0" error message after
    the termination of an additional (F8) IS display. Anyone know what's
    going on?

    Thanks!
    --
    Prof Kenneth H Jacker khj@cs.appstate.edu
    Computer Science Dept www.cs.appstate.edu/~khj

  2. Re: No space on device 9/0 (/dev/rescue)

    On Apr 3, 11:36 am, Kenneth Jacker wrote:
    > First, just what *is* /dev/rescue? I looked in OSDI's index, but
    > could find no reference. A quick peek at ../drivers/rescue/rescue.c
    > didn't help much either ;-)
    >
    > Second, I am getting the "No space on device 9/0" error message after
    > the termination of an additional (F8) IS display. Anyone know what's
    > going on?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > --
    > Prof Kenneth H Jacker k...@cs.appstate.edu
    > Computer Science Dept www.cs.appstate.edu/~khj
    > Appalachian State Univ
    > Boone, NC 28608 USA

    Good question professor! Just what is this "rescue" thing

    Regards

    moose

  3. Re: No space on device 9/0 (/dev/rescue)

    bull_moose> Good question professor!

    Thanks for your support!

    bull_moose> Just what is this "rescue" thing

    Still don't know. No newsgroup replies or private emails ... :-(

    -Kenneth

  4. Re: No space on device 9/0 (/dev/rescue)

    In article <87odlt4rtc.fsf@be.cs.appstate.edu>,
    Kenneth Jacker wrote:
    > bull_moose> Good question professor!
    >
    >Thanks for your support!
    >
    > bull_moose> Just what is this "rescue" thing
    >
    >Still don't know. No newsgroup replies or private emails ... :-(

    /dev/rescue is part of an attempt to restart harddisk drivers if they crash.

    After 3.1.2a it was replaced with another mechanism.