Anothe dumb question about minix - Minix

This is a discussion on Anothe dumb question about minix - Minix ; Hi All: Please excuse the newbie level of my questions. Does Minix have support for a scan disk or compact flash card or USB memory devices? I am developing a system to write and read SD, CF cards, or USB ...

  1. Anothe dumb question about minix

    Hi All:
    Please excuse the newbie level of my questions. Does Minix have support for
    a scan disk or compact flash card or USB memory devices? I am developing a
    system to write and read SD, CF cards, or USB memory device. I need to know
    if the OS supports these devices. And any special considerations I need to
    take into account in my design.
    Again Thanks to every one in the Minix community for there help.
    Kenn Ward

  2. Re: Anothe dumb question about minix

    kennon ward wrote:
    > Hi All:
    > Please excuse the newbie level of my questions. Does Minix have support for
    > a scan disk or compact flash card or USB memory devices? I am developing a
    > system to write and read SD, CF cards, or USB memory device. I need to know
    > if the OS supports these devices. And any special considerations I need to
    > take into account in my design.

    Hi again,

    There is currently no support for USB whatsoever, although people are
    working on it. I don't think anyone wrote a driver for builtin card
    readers either, so I suppose you are out of luck on this one.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  3. Re: Anothe dumb question about minix

    In article ,
    kennon ward wrote:
    >Please excuse the newbie level of my questions. Does Minix have support for
    >a scan disk or compact flash card or USB memory devices? I am developing a
    >system to write and read SD, CF cards, or USB memory device. I need to know
    >if the OS supports these devices. And any special considerations I need to
    >take into account in my design.

    There is no support for USB (the only exception is through the BIOS if
    you boot from a USB device).

    CF-to-IDE adapters work reasonably well (but are of course not hot
    pluggable). In theory it should be possible to get PC-CARD support to work,
    but I never tried that with CF. There exist SD-to-CF adapters, so if CF
    works, SD should also be possible.