New to MINIX. Can I run X11 - Minix

This is a discussion on New to MINIX. Can I run X11 - Minix ; To All: Thank you in advance for helping a new kid on the block. I have been working on computer for a very long time mostly in the Windoze environment. What I need is advice on MINIX as to whether ...

  1. New to MINIX. Can I run X11

    To All:

    Thank you in advance for helping a new kid on the block. I have been working
    on computer for a very long time mostly in the Windoze environment. What I
    need is advice on MINIX as to whether it can run X11.
    --
    Kennon Ward
    215 262-1099 Cell

  2. Re: New to MINIX. Can I run X11

    Hello,

    > Thank you in advance for helping a new kid on the block. I have been

    working
    > on computer for a very long time mostly in the Windoze environment. What I
    > need is advice on MINIX as to whether it can run X11.

    Minix can run X11, enough memory assumed.

    Regards,
    Sebastian

  3. Re: New to MINIX. Can I run X11

    On Apr 1, 1:47 am, "Sebastian" wrote:
    > Hello,
    >

    > > Thank you in advance for helping a new kid on the block. I have been

    > working
    > > on computer for a very long time mostly in the Windoze environment. What I
    > > need is advice on MINIX as to whether it can run X11.

    > Minix can run X11, enough memory assumed.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Sebastian

    Hello Sabastian

    minix 3 installed and 46 packages installed from CD.

    Typed "xdm' but X won't start. Any idea as to why X won't start. the
    machine has 200Mb memory.

    Wayne

  4. Re: New to MINIX. Can I run X11

    Hello,

    > > Minix can run X11, enough memory assumed.
    > >

    > minix 3 installed and 46 packages installed from CD.
    >
    > Typed "xdm' but X won't start. Any idea as to why X won't start. the
    > machine has 200Mb memory.

    Try to read some postings here; many refer to X and problem with it. Did you
    use chmem to increase the memory for the X server and related binaries? This
    seems to be the most common error. There is even a helpful link with many
    tips flying around in this newsgroup.

    If that doesn't help, then: What hardware are you running? What kind of
    graphics device? What is the problem? Can you run "X" (not xdm) directly or
    not? But first try the chmem approach.

    Regards,
    Sebastian

+ Reply to Thread