tulip ethernet driver - Minix

This is a discussion on tulip ethernet driver - Minix ; Hello! I burned the minix 3 iso and ran it on an i586 machine. But I can't use packman or even connect to the internet using it. The setup function referred to several ethernet card types, but I have a ...

  1. tulip ethernet driver

    Hello!

    I burned the minix 3 iso and ran it on an i586 machine. But I can't use
    packman or even connect to the internet using it.

    The setup function referred to several ethernet card types, but I have a
    standard Netgear FA-311 ethernet card (very similar to Netgear
    FA_310TX), which uses the "tulip" ethernet driver under GNU/Linux, etc.

    Is there a "tulip" driver available, or other way to connect to the
    internet? Other than running a virtual machine, which I do not know
    anything about and fail to see the point of anyway. After all, isn't Minix
    about running small and lean, not piling layer upon layer of stuff?

    Otherwise, I'm afraid I can't do very much with minix. Indeed, what's the
    use of any totally offline computer in 2007?

    :-(

    Thanks for any help!

  2. Re: tulip ethernet driver

    On Mar 31, 9:29 pm, Default User wrote:

    > Is there a "tulip" driver available, or other way to connect to the
    > internet?

    Sad to say, AFAIK nobody is working on a tulip driver. I have been
    asking about this myself for quite a while -- it is number one on my
    personal
    wish list for more drivers.

    > ... Other than running a virtual machine, which I do not know
    > anything about and fail to see the point of anyway. After all, isn't Minix
    > about running small and lean, not piling layer upon layer of stuff?

    Well, I would say Minix is about *learning* how to run small and lean.
    It's hard to be small and lean in the real world where there a
    gazillion different devices you might want to interface with. And one
    point of virtual machines is precisely to deal with this problem. You
    can use a host OS like Windows or Linux with support for many
    different network interfaces, and a virtualizer that presents a
    supported virtual interface to the guest OS. For instance, you can
    install Minix on top of the free VMWare player. Minix does have the
    Lance ethernet driver needed to use the virtual ethernet interface
    presented by VMWare. I have even used this to connect a Minix virtual
    machine running on a laptop to the net via a wireless interface (Minix
    doesn't currently support any wireless network cards).

    VMWare is not the only way to virtualize, of course. Minix has
    ethernet drivers that will work when it is run as a guest OS on Bochs
    and Qemu and possibly other virtual hosts.

    - Al

  3. Re: tulip ethernet driver

    On Apr 1, 3:33 pm, "Al Woodhull" wrote:
    > On Mar 31, 9:29 pm, Default User wrote:
    >
    > > Is there a "tulip" driver available, or other way to connect to the
    > > internet?

    > Sad to say, AFAIK nobody is working on a tulip driver. I have been
    > asking about this myself for quite a while -- it is number one on my
    > personal
    > wish list for more drivers.
    >
    > > ... Other than running a virtual machine, which I do not know
    > > anything about and fail to see the point of anyway. After all, isn't Minix
    > > about running small and lean, not piling layer upon layer of stuff?

    > Well, I would say Minix is about *learning* how to run small and lean.
    > It's hard to be small and lean in the real world where there a
    > gazillion different devices you might want to interface with. And one
    > point of virtual machines is precisely to deal with this problem. You
    > can use a host OS like Windows or Linux with support for many
    > different network interfaces, and a virtualizer that presents a
    > supported virtual interface to the guest OS. For instance, you can
    > install Minix on top of the free VMWare player. Minix does have the
    > Lance ethernet driver needed to use the virtual ethernet interface
    > presented by VMWare. I have even used this to connect a Minix virtual
    > machine running on a laptop to the net via a wireless interface (Minix
    > doesn't currently support any wireless network cards).
    >
    > VMWare is not the only way to virtualize, of course. Minix has
    > ethernet drivers that will work when it is run as a guest OS on Bochs
    > and Qemu and possibly other virtual hosts.
    >
    > - Al

    Al...please tell me! Do I understand correctly that minix cannot too
    the internet unless an VMWare or similar type envirionment is used?

    Wayne

  4. Re: tulip ethernet driver

    Hello,

    > Al...please tell me! Do I understand correctly that minix cannot too
    > the internet unless an VMWare or similar type envirionment is used?

    You are right there, if you don't want to change your current hardware.
    But you could exchange your 'tulip' ethernet controller against a supported
    one (e.g. RTL8139-compatibles) and it would work, too.

    Sorry for me replying. :-)

    Regards,
    Sebastian

  5. Re: tulip ethernet driver

    On Apr 4, 9:36 am, "Sebastian" wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > > Al...please tell me! Do I understand correctly that minix cannot too
    > > the internet unless an VMWare or similar type envirionment is used?

    > You are right there, if you don't want to change your current hardware.
    > But you could exchange your 'tulip' ethernet controller against a supported
    > one (e.g. RTL8139-compatibles) and it would work, too.
    >
    > Sorry for me replying. :-)
    >
    > Regards,
    > Sebastian

    Sebastian...Thanks for your quick reply

    I don't have an Tulip NIC. I have 3Com NIC but having trouble
    connecting to internet. On install minix reports it cannot connect to
    server. I note that two different 3Com NICs are offered during
    install, and I have tried both without success. Can you offer any
    suggestions that could point me in the correcet direction.

    Wayne

  6. Re: tulip ethernet driver

    Hello,

    > I don't have an Tulip NIC. I have 3Com NIC but having trouble
    > connecting to internet. On install minix reports it cannot connect to
    > server. I note that two different 3Com NICs are offered during
    > install, and I have tried both without success. Can you offer any
    > suggestions that could point me in the correcet direction.

    What kind of 3Com NIC do you have and what is offered you at installation
    time? I can't find a list of supported NICs on www.minix3.org and only run
    Minix 2.0.4 on my i286-machine.

    The 3c503 family was supported in Minix 2.0.4 and I had a 3c509 running
    (both are ISA-style cards, the first even available in 8 Bit). Both are very
    different from newer PCI-based cards (like 3c905) and therefore the drivers
    for these older cards do not work with newer cards.

    If you want to have network connectivity on Minix, then you should install a
    RTL8139-compatible NIC if it is possible or try to port the driver from
    Linux.

    I can't help you any further, sorry.

    Regards,
    Sebastian

  7. Re: tulip ethernet driver

    On Apr 5, 6:23 am, "Sebastian" wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > > I don't have an Tulip NIC. I have 3Com NIC but having trouble
    > > connecting to internet. On install minix reports it cannot connect to
    > > server. I note that two different 3Com NICs are offered during
    > > install, and I have tried both without success. Can you offer any
    > > suggestions that could point me in the correcet direction.

    > What kind of 3Com NIC do you have and what is offered you at installation
    > time? I can't find a list of supported NICs onwww.minix3.organd only run
    > Minix 2.0.4 on my i286-machine.
    >
    > The 3c503 family was supported in Minix 2.0.4 and I had a 3c509 running
    > (both are ISA-style cards, the first even available in 8 Bit). Both are very
    > different from newer PCI-based cards (like 3c905) and therefore the drivers
    > for these older cards do not work with newer cards.
    >
    > If you want to have network connectivity on Minix, then you should install a
    > RTL8139-compatible NIC if it is possible or try to port the driver from
    > Linux.
    >
    > I can't help you any further, sorry.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Sebastian

    Thank you Sebastian, indeed, you have been a very great help.

    Wayne

+ Reply to Thread