Suggestions on laptop - Minix

This is a discussion on Suggestions on laptop - Minix ; Hello, A course at DePaul University in Chicago, focused on operating systems, will be using the Minix book for the upcoming quarter. Because I recently sold my old x86 system and all I have now is PPC Mac, I need ...

  1. Suggestions on laptop

    Hello,
    A course at DePaul University in Chicago, focused on operating
    systems, will be using the Minix book for the upcoming quarter.
    Because I recently sold my old x86 system and all I have now is PPC
    Mac, I need to get a new computer -- preferably a laptop. I was
    wondering if anyone here had any suggestions on which laptop they have
    found to be best for working with Minix (i.e., drivers, stability,
    etc.)
    Thanks,
    Gabe

  2. Re: Suggestions on laptop

    hi
    you dont need an x86
    just install an emulator on your machine and itll be grand!

    On 24 Mrz., 05:23, "Gabe" wrote:
    > Hello,
    > A course at DePaul University in Chicago, focused on operating
    > systems, will be using the Minix book for the upcoming quarter.
    > Because I recently sold my old x86 system and all I have now is PPC
    > Mac, I need to get a new computer -- preferably a laptop. I was
    > wondering if anyone here had any suggestions on which laptop they have
    > found to be best for working with Minix (i.e., drivers, stability,
    > etc.)
    > Thanks,
    > Gabe

  3. Re: Suggestions on laptop

    On Mar 25, 8:14 am, "sancho1980" wrote:
    > you dont need an x86
    > just install an emulator on your machine and itll be grand!

    I have been researching that very idea via Qemu, but there are 2
    problems:
    1) I'm having difficulty finding a site that describes _building_
    Minix after any changes you make to the O.S. and the re-creating the
    Qemu image.
    2) I may be required to write part of a device driver as part of this
    course/make some significant change to the O.S. -- something that may
    not work/be debuggable on a host O.S.
    Any suggestions/pointers?
    -Gabe

  4. Re: Suggestions on laptop

    i use bochs and it works fine, u just install the emulator, configure
    your pc (how many hard drives, floppies, ram etc) and then you install
    minix on top of it like it was a physical computer, its very easy and
    yes you can recompile everything from there, theres really no
    difference between running minix on a real machine and an emulator;
    besides, who would buy a new x86 machine and then install minix as the
    only os on it? you sure would want to make use of all the fancy
    features of your new machine, something minix just cant do...

    On 25 Mrz., 14:40, "Gabe" wrote:
    > On Mar 25, 8:14 am, "sancho1980" wrote:
    >
    > > you dont need an x86
    > > just install an emulator on your machine and itll be grand!

    > I have been researching that very idea via Qemu, but there are 2
    > problems:
    > 1) I'm having difficulty finding a site that describes _building_
    > Minix after any changes you make to the O.S. and the re-creating the
    > Qemu image.
    > 2) I may be required to write part of a device driver as part of this
    > course/make some significant change to the O.S. -- something that may
    > not work/be debuggable on a host O.S.
    > Any suggestions/pointers?
    > -Gabe

  5. Re: Suggestions on laptop

    > I have been researching that very idea via Qemu, but there are 2
    > problems:
    > 1) I'm having difficulty finding a site that describes building
    > Minix after any changes you make to the O.S. and the re-creating the
    > Qemu image.

    Building Minix on a virtual machine is done just like on a real machine.

    It is described here:
    http://www.minix3.org/doc/A-312.html

    Section "4. Testing", under "3. Rebuild the entire operating system".
    There's no need to done anything special the Qemu image after
    rebuilding; the make file replaces the boot image to boot the
    re-compiled version.

    > 2) I may be required to write part of a device driver as part of this
    > course/make some significant change to the O.S. -- something that may
    > not work/be debuggable on a host O.S.

    I would say using a Virtual Machine only makes it easier. If you use a
    real PC, you need to re-install everything when you really mess things
    up. With a virtual machine, you need only restore the disk image or a
    snapshot (if your emulator supports those).

    The only problem would be if this driver is for a device which is not
    emulated. In this case you will need a real machine for testing.

  6. Re: Suggestions on laptop

    In article <1174830002.191864.73150@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.c om>,
    "Gabe" wrote:

    > On Mar 25, 8:14 am, "sancho1980" wrote:
    > > you dont need an x86
    > > just install an emulator on your machine and itll be grand!

    > I have been researching that very idea via Qemu, but there are 2
    > problems:
    > 1) I'm having difficulty finding a site that describes _building_
    > Minix after any changes you make to the O.S. and the re-creating the
    > Qemu image.
    > 2) I may be required to write part of a device driver as part of this
    > course/make some significant change to the O.S. -- something that may
    > not work/be debuggable on a host O.S.
    > Any suggestions/pointers?
    > -Gabe

    In my course , which is being run
    for the 2nd time this year, we have only done fairly simplistic device
    drivers but we have had students rewrite the scheduler and change a
    detail of the file system, all in Qemu. Other than the same sort of
    glitches as you would expect with a relatively new OS on possibly not
    fully tested hardware, this has gone pretty well. It's a whole lot
    easier to recreate an image from scratch than a trashed disk that has
    become unbootable (provided you remember to back up your patches outside
    the image).

    Most of our students run Qemu on Windows but some use Macs and some use
    Linux.

    --
    Philip Machanick

  7. Re: Suggestions on laptop

    Thank you so much everyone. Very helpful -- and wildly less
    expensive! I wasn't aware that virtualization allowed that kind of
    low-level manipulation of the OS without expert understanding of the
    emulation layer.
    -Gabe

+ Reply to Thread