Can't mount Minix2 floppy FS on Minix3 - Minix

This is a discussion on Can't mount Minix2 floppy FS on Minix3 - Minix ; I have Minix2 installed on a 386 and I have just installed Minix3 on a Pentium III. I can't mount on Minix3 my floppies formatted and wroten with Minix2. I've checked them in Minix3 with fsck -s /dev/fd0 and I ...

  1. Can't mount Minix2 floppy FS on Minix3

    I have Minix2 installed on a 386 and I have just installed Minix3 on a
    Pentium III. I can't mount on Minix3 my floppies formatted and wroten
    with Minix2.
    I've checked them in Minix3 with fsck -s /dev/fd0 and I get "bad magic
    number on super block" but they are ok for Minix2.
    I've also tried with a Version 1 fs and fsck1 with same result.

    Suggestions??

  2. Re: Can't mount Minix2 floppy FS on Minix3

    xronodson@yahoo.es wrote:
    > I have Minix2 installed on a 386 and I have just installed Minix3 on a
    > Pentium III. I can't mount on Minix3 my floppies formatted and wroten
    > with Minix2.
    > I've checked them in Minix3 with fsck -s /dev/fd0 and I get "bad magic
    > number on super block" but they are ok for Minix2.
    > I've also tried with a Version 1 fs and fsck1 with same result.
    >
    > Suggestions??

    Minix-3 does not support V2/V1 filesystem versions. Of course Minix-2
    does not yet know V3 filesystem.

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  3. Re: Can't mount Minix2 floppy FS on Minix3

    I have compared the code about superblock in both versions, 2 and 3.
    Both are very similar and it is supposed than Minix3 can read old
    versions. But in the definition of superblock in super.h, in Minix2 we
    can read:

    00 EXTERN struct super_block {
    01 ino_t s_ninodes; /* # usable inodes on the minor
    device */
    02 zone1_t s_nzones; /* total device size, including bit
    maps etc */
    03 short s_imap_blocks; /* # of blocks used by inode bit
    map */
    04 short s_zmap_blocks; /* # of blocks used by zone bit map
    */
    05 zone1_t s_firstdatazone; /* number of first data zone */
    06 short s_log_zone_size; /* log2 of blocks/zone */
    07 off_t s_max_size; /* maximum file size on this device
    */
    08 short s_magic; /* magic number to recognize super-
    blocks */
    09 short s_pad; /* try to avoid compiler-dependent
    padding */
    10 zone_t s_zones; /* number of zones (replaces
    s_nzones in V2) */

    And in Minix3 we have:

    00 EXTERN struct super_block {
    01 ino_t s_ninodes; /* # usable inodes on the minor
    device */
    02 zone1_t s_nzones; /* total device size, including bit
    maps etc */
    03 short s_imap_blocks; /* # of blocks used by inode bit
    map */
    04 short s_zmap_blocks; /* # of blocks used by zone bit map
    */
    05 zone1_t s_firstdatazone; /* number of first data zone */
    06 short s_log_zone_size; /* log2 of blocks/zone */
    07 short s_pad; /* try to avoid compiler-dependent
    padding */
    08 off_t s_max_size; /* maximum file size on this device
    */
    09 zone_t s_zones; /* number of zones (replaces
    s_nzones in V2) */
    10 short s_magic; /* magic number to recognize super-
    blocks */
    /* The following items are valid on disk only for V3 and above */
    /* The block size in bytes. Minimum MIN_BLOCK SIZE. SECTOR_SIZE
    * multiple. If V1 or V2 filesystem, this should be
    * initialised to STATIC_BLOCK_SIZE. Maximum
    MAX_BLOCK_SIZE.
    */
    11 short s_pad2; /* try to avoid compiler-dependent
    padding */
    12 unsigned short s_block_size; /* block size in bytes. */
    13 char s_disk_version; /* filesystem format sub-version */

    Therefore, fields 07-10 does not match in both definitions. This is,
    in my opinion, the origin of the problem, and it seems to be more a
    "typing error" than a "new feature" of version 3

    Of course, having sources it is very easy to correct the problem, but
    that will break the compatibility...

  4. Re: Can't mount Minix2 floppy FS on Minix3

    In article <1175024291.649162.93460@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.c om>,
    wrote:
    >Therefore, fields 07-10 does not match in both definitions. This is,
    >in my opinion, the origin of the problem, and it seems to be more a
    >"typing error" than a "new feature" of version 3
    >
    >Of course, having sources it is very easy to correct the problem, but
    >that will break the compatibility...

    One of the main new features in the v3 filesystem is longer directory entries
    and 32-bit inode numbers.

    V3 is incompatible with v2. There is no way around that. Eventually, the
    vfs implementation will be stable enough that creating a v2 filesystem for
    Minix 3 makes sense. But we are not there yet.