minix 3 and Xorg - Minix

This is a discussion on minix 3 and Xorg - Minix ; logged in as root. typed xdm xorg login and password box appears typed ROOT for login how do I create a password for xorg I studied the help files and the man pages but honestly I could not understand the ...

  1. minix 3 and Xorg

    logged in as root.

    typed xdm

    xorg login and password box appears

    typed ROOT for login

    how do I create a password for xorg

    I studied the help files and the man pages but honestly I could not
    understand the UNIX constructs.

    I would really, really appreciate some guidence because each time i've
    tried to start xorg it freezes, and I need to turn the computer off to
    break out.

    I suppose I need someone to take me by the hand a lead me.

  2. Re: minix 3 and Xorg

    vanovert@verizon.net wrote:
    > logged in as root.
    >
    > typed xdm
    >
    > xorg login and password box appears
    >
    > typed ROOT for login
    >
    > how do I create a password for xorg
    >
    > I studied the help files and the man pages but honestly I could not
    > understand the UNIX constructs.
    >
    > I would really, really appreciate some guidence because each time i've
    > tried to start xorg it freezes, and I need to turn the computer off to
    > break out.
    >
    > I suppose I need someone to take me by the hand a lead me.

    have you done chmem after installing X11R6?

  3. Re: minix 3 and Xorg

    ArmOberon@gmail.com wrote:
    > vanovert@verizon.net wrote:
    > > logged in as root.
    > >
    > > typed xdm
    > >
    > > xorg login and password box appears
    > >
    > > typed ROOT for login
    > >
    > > how do I create a password for xorg
    > >
    > > I studied the help files and the man pages but honestly I could not
    > > understand the UNIX constructs.
    > >
    > > I would really, really appreciate some guidence because each time i've
    > > tried to start xorg it freezes, and I need to turn the computer off to
    > > break out.
    > >
    > > I suppose I need someone to take me by the hand a lead me.

    > have you done chmem after installing X11R6?

  4. Re: minix 3 and Xorg

    ArmOberon@gmail.com wrote:
    > vanovert@verizon.net wrote:
    > > logged in as root.
    > >
    > > typed xdm
    > >
    > > xorg login and password box appears
    > >
    > > typed ROOT for login
    > >
    > > how do I create a password for xorg
    > >
    > > I studied the help files and the man pages but honestly I could not
    > > understand the UNIX constructs.
    > >
    > > I would really, really appreciate some guidence because each time i've
    > > tried to start xorg it freezes, and I need to turn the computer off to
    > > break out.
    > >
    > > I suppose I need someone to take me by the hand a lead me.

    > have you done chmem after installing X11R6?

    Thank you for your reply.

    First let me tell you....I have not figured out the how-to setup MINIX
    to connect to the internet. I have Verizon DSL. So, I'm depending
    upon the ISO to provide 46 packages which I can install to the HD
    using PACKMAN.

    No to your question. After considerable time spent with the console,
    attempting to come to grips with the command line, I now believe the
    Xorg login GUI appearance may had been a fluke? I cannot duplicate
    its reapperance usng the xdm command,

    I have run through many CD commands and CAT commands trying to see
    what the various directories contain. Such as CD /usr/local [ls] then
    CAT PACKAGES. After this command just a few symbols are printed too
    screen. Should this command return a list of packages installed?

    Here is the process I used in an attempt to install 46 packages from
    CD.

    minix login: ROOT
    packman

    the printed output follows:

    dev/c0d3p2 is read-only mounted on /mnt
    there are 46 CD packages
    1-install from CD
    2-install from CD packages + source from CD
    3-display the list of packages
    4-let me select CD ot network
    5-exit

    I choose the defaut [4]
    printed to screen --->> showing packages to install. BUT-no packages
    are shown.
    printed to screen --->> press: return to continue. I press return.
    printed to screen --->> no package found - retrieving initial
    verision. BUT- no initial ver.
    printed to screen --->> fetching package list. nothing happens. no
    package list

    I also tried 1-install from CD. It appeared that 46 packages were
    installed but I cannot find where they were installed on the HD.

    Your help is appreciated.

    I have run through the install commands where packages are installed
    from CD to HD.

  5. Re: minix 3 and Xorg

    vanovert@verizon.net wrote:
    > ArmOberon@gmail.com wrote:
    > > vanovert@verizon.net wrote:
    > > > logged in as root.
    > > >
    > > > typed xdm
    > > >
    > > > xorg login and password box appears
    > > >
    > > > typed ROOT for login
    > > >
    > > > how do I create a password for xorg
    > > >
    > > > I studied the help files and the man pages but honestly I could not
    > > > understand the UNIX constructs.
    > > >
    > > > I would really, really appreciate some guidence because each time i've
    > > > tried to start xorg it freezes, and I need to turn the computer off to
    > > > break out.
    > > >
    > > > I suppose I need someone to take me by the hand a lead me.

    > > have you done chmem after installing X11R6?

    > Thank you for your reply.
    >
    > First let me tell you....I have not figured out the how-to setup MINIX
    > to connect to the internet. I have Verizon DSL. So, I'm depending
    > upon the ISO to provide 46 packages which I can install to the HD
    > using PACKMAN.
    >
    > No to your question. After considerable time spent with the console,
    > attempting to come to grips with the command line, I now believe the
    > Xorg login GUI appearance may had been a fluke? I cannot duplicate
    > its reapperance usng the xdm command,
    >
    > I have run through many CD commands and CAT commands trying to see
    > what the various directories contain. Such as CD /usr/local [ls] then
    > CAT PACKAGES. After this command just a few symbols are printed too
    > screen. Should this command return a list of packages installed?
    >
    > Here is the process I used in an attempt to install 46 packages from
    > CD.
    >
    > minix login: ROOT
    > packman
    >
    > the printed output follows:
    >
    > dev/c0d3p2 is read-only mounted on /mnt
    > there are 46 CD packages
    > 1-install from CD
    > 2-install from CD packages + source from CD
    > 3-display the list of packages
    > 4-let me select CD ot network
    > 5-exit
    >
    > I choose the defaut [4]
    > printed to screen --->> showing packages to install. BUT-no packages
    > are shown.
    > printed to screen --->> press: return to continue. I press return.
    > printed to screen --->> no package found - retrieving initial
    > verision. BUT- no initial ver.
    > printed to screen --->> fetching package list. nothing happens. no
    > package list
    >
    > I also tried 1-install from CD. It appeared that 46 packages were
    > installed but I cannot find where they were installed on the HD.
    >
    > Your help is appreciated.
    >
    > I have run through the install commands where packages are installed
    > from CD to HD.

    look here
    http://www.minixtips.com/2006/07/run...-on-minix.html

  6. Re: minix 3 and Xorg

    On Mar 29, 9:19 am, ArmObe...@gmail.com wrote:
    > vanov...@verizon.net wrote:
    > > ArmObe...@gmail.com wrote:

    > > > have you done chmem after installing X11R6?

    > > Thank you for your reply.

    > > First let me tell you....I have not figured out the how-to setup MINIX
    > > to connect to the internet. I have Verizon DSL. So, I'm depending
    > > upon the ISO to provide 46 packages which I can install to the HD
    > > using PACKMAN.

    > > No to your question. After considerable time spent with the console,
    > > attempting to come to grips with the command line, I now believe the
    > > Xorg login GUI appearance may had been a fluke? I cannot duplicate
    > > its reapperance usng the xdm command,

    > > I have run through many CD commands and CAT commands trying to see
    > > what the various directories contain. Such as CD /usr/local [ls] then
    > > CAT PACKAGES. After this command just a few symbols are printed too
    > > screen. Should this command return a list of packages installed?

    > > Here is the process I used in an attempt to install 46 packages from
    > > CD.

    > > minix login: ROOT
    > > packman

    > > the printed output follows:

    > > dev/c0d3p2 is read-only mounted on /mnt
    > > there are 46 CD packages
    > > 1-install from CD
    > > 2-install from CD packages + source from CD
    > > 3-display the list of packages
    > > 4-let me select CD ot network
    > > 5-exit

    > > I choose the defaut [4]
    > > printed to screen --->> showing packages to install. BUT-no packages
    > > are shown.
    > > printed to screen --->> press: return to continue. I press return.
    > > printed to screen --->> no package found - retrieving initial
    > > verision. BUT- no initial ver.
    > > printed to screen --->> fetching package list. nothing happens. no
    > > package list

    > > I also tried 1-install from CD. It appeared that 46 packages were
    > > installed but I cannot find where they were installed on the HD.

    > > Your help is appreciated.

    > > I have run through the install commands where packages are installed
    > > from CD to HD.

    > look herehttp://www.minixtips.com/2006/07/running-x11-on-minix.html

    Thank you for your help. The link you supplied helped. However, the
    machine has 185Mb ram, so It seems there is not enough ram to run X.
    I note that using the "F" keys perhaps X could run, but I haven't
    figured this out as of yet. Thank's again...Wayne

+ Reply to Thread