Using findproc() - Minix

This is a discussion on Using findproc() - Minix ; I'd like to use the 'findproc'() function from within a user process to dynamically obtain the "endpoint" of various servers. Though I "#include ", I'm still getting a compilation warning that implies the include file (with the prototype) is not, ...

  1. Using findproc()

    I'd like to use the 'findproc'() function from within a user process
    to dynamically obtain the "endpoint" of various servers.

    Though I "#include", I'm still getting a compilation warning
    that implies the include file (with the prototype) is not, in fact,
    being read. Which include file(s) need to be referenced?

    Also, what it the difference between 'findproc'()'s return value (an
    int), and the second param (int *)?

    Finally, which library do I need to reference in my Makefile so that
    the function is properly "bound" into my program?

    Thanks,
    --
    Prof Kenneth H Jacker khj@cs.appstate.edu
    Computer Science Dept www.cs.appstate.edu/~khj

  2. Re: Using findproc()

    All,

    (Also email copy.)

    > I'd like to use the 'findproc'() function from within a user process
    > to dynamically obtain the "endpoint" of various servers.
    >
    > Though I "#include", I'm still getting a compilation warning
    > that implies the include file (with the prototype) is not, in fact,
    > being read. Which include file(s) need to be referenced?

    Do you have a findproc()? It was renamed to _pm_findproc() a while
    ago so as to not pollute application namespace. Also, you may have to
    define _MINIX to get the prototype included.

    > Also, what it the difference between 'findproc'()'s return value (an
    > int), and the second param (int *)?

    The first is the success status, the 2nd is the actual result.

    > Finally, which library do I need to reference in my Makefile so that
    > the function is properly "bound" into my program?

    libc, so no special action required.

    =Ben

+ Reply to Thread