Bounded buffer problem.. - Minix

This is a discussion on Bounded buffer problem.. - Minix ; I am interested in emulating/simulating bounded buffer access by multiple processes under Minix. Any idea how to come up with a bounded buffer as there is no shared memory possible in Minix? -ishwar...

  1. Bounded buffer problem..

    I am interested in emulating/simulating bounded buffer access by
    multiple processes
    under Minix. Any idea how to come up with a bounded buffer as there is
    no shared
    memory possible in Minix?

    -ishwar

  2. Re: Bounded buffer problem..

    On Mar 19, 12:41 pm, rat...@cps.cmich.edu wrote:
    > I am interested in emulating/simulating bounded buffer access by
    > multiple processes
    > under Minix. Any idea how to come up with a bounded buffer as there is
    > no shared
    > memory possible in Minix?

    Have you considered that a file can be used as a bounded buffer?

  3. Re: Bounded buffer problem..

    On Mar 19, 1:38 pm, "Lew Pitcher" wrote:
    > On Mar 19, 12:41 pm, rat...@cps.cmich.edu wrote:
    >
    > > I am interested in emulating/simulating bounded buffer access by
    > > multiple processes
    > > under Minix. Any idea how to come up with a bounded buffer as there is
    > > no shared
    > > memory possible in Minix?

    > Have you considered that a file can be used as a bounded buffer?

    In context of concurrent access (synchronization) issue, won't the FS
    make the writes to file synchronous anyway, in this case.

    -ishwar

+ Reply to Thread