Replacing the file system - Minix

This is a discussion on Replacing the file system - Minix ; I am in the dreaming phase of a derivative OS with a non-traditional file system. Perhaps I am delusional, but the message based architecture and the fact that the file system is in user mode makes me wonder if replacing ...

  1. Replacing the file system

    I am in the dreaming phase of a derivative OS with a non-traditional
    file system. Perhaps I am delusional, but the message based
    architecture and the fact that the file system is in user mode makes
    me wonder if replacing the Minix file system would require less
    massive surgery than most other kernels. My primary wonder and
    concern centers around bootstrapping and the relationship between the
    kernel and the file system for things like paging. Would anybody mind
    commenting on this; perhaps a rough guestimate on the effort of such
    an undertaking or even a few ideas about possible challenges?

    Thanks in advance,

    --
    Nathan Allan

  2. Re: Replacing the file system

    n8allan@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am in the dreaming phase of a derivative OS with a non-traditional
    > file system. Perhaps I am delusional, but the message based
    > architecture and the fact that the file system is in user mode makes
    > me wonder if replacing the Minix file system would require less
    > massive surgery than most other kernels. My primary wonder and
    > concern centers around bootstrapping and the relationship between the
    > kernel and the file system for things like paging. Would anybody mind
    > commenting on this; perhaps a rough guestimate on the effort of such
    > an undertaking or even a few ideas about possible challenges?

    Well, to answer both parts of your concern:

    - the boot monitor reads part of the file system in the Minix partition to
    find the correct boot image to load. Changing the file system requires
    changing the boot monitor. I have no clue how much work this is but the
    book states that the boot monitor is quite complex, so it's probably more
    than five minutes work.
    - Minix does not use paging, so no file system problems there.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  3. Re: Replacing the file system

    Jens,

    Thank you for your response. "more than five minutes" in not a
    concern, "more than 5 months" might be. :-)

    The fact that Minix doesn't do paging is actually an asset for what I
    am looking for. I am looking to have disk/memory transparency happen
    within a DBMS style buffer pool, at a higher level than the kernel.

    >From my reading so far, and for my purposes, the draw backs to using

    Minix would be the lack of SMP support... and perhaps lack of hardware
    FP due to the MMX issues. The coming tide of massively parallel
    architectures might quickly obsolete OSes that don't get on the SMP
    bandwagon. On the other hand, I would hate to derive from some Linux
    or BSD monolith when what I need is closer to an Exokernal (http://
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exokernel).

    Thanks again for the response.

    Best,

    --
    Nathan Allan

    On Mar 17, 5:08 pm, Smit de JF wrote:
    > Well, to answer both parts of your concern:
    >
    > - the boot monitor reads part of the file system in the Minix partition to
    > find the correct boot image to load. Changing the file system requires
    > changing the boot monitor. I have no clue how much work this is but the
    > book states that the boot monitor is quite complex, so it's probably more
    > than five minutes work.
    > - Minix does not use paging, so no file system problems there.

  4. Re: Replacing the file system

    Smit de JF writes:

    > n8allan@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I am in the dreaming phase of a derivative OS with a non-traditional
    >> file system. Perhaps I am delusional, but the message based
    >> architecture and the fact that the file system is in user mode makes
    >> me wonder if replacing the Minix file system would require less
    >> massive surgery than most other kernels. My primary wonder and
    >> concern centers around bootstrapping and the relationship between the
    >> kernel and the file system for things like paging. Would anybody mind
    >> commenting on this; perhaps a rough guestimate on the effort of such
    >> an undertaking or even a few ideas about possible challenges?

    > Well, to answer both parts of your concern:
    >
    > - the boot monitor reads part of the file system in the Minix partition to
    > find the correct boot image to load. Changing the file system requires
    > changing the boot monitor. I have no clue how much work this is but the
    > book states that the boot monitor is quite complex, so it's probably more
    > than five minutes work.

    Another option would be to have a VFS switch (AFAIR Minix will have
    one soon?), so one could mount different filesystem types at the same
    time. Then just have a boot file system which contains kernel and
    tools and use the new experimental type on a mounted test
    partition. That should help bootstrapping a new FS.

    Regards -- Markus

  5. Re: Replacing the file system

    Markus,

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    Best,

    --
    Nathan Allan

    On Mar 17, 8:35 pm, Markus E Leypold
    wrote:
    > Smit de JF writes:
    >
    > Another option would be to have a VFS switch (AFAIR Minix will have
    > one soon?), so one could mount different filesystem types at the same
    > time. Then just have a boot file system which contains kernel and
    > tools and use the new experimental type on a mounted test
    > partition. That should help bootstrapping a new FS.
    >
    > Regards -- Markus- Hide quoted text -

+ Reply to Thread