GRUB Loading Error - Minix

This is a discussion on GRUB Loading Error - Minix ; I just installed Minix 3.1.2 on an old Pentium-133 laptop. There were no problems with the installation and I used the default answers to all of the questions. Now, when I try to boot, I see the following: ---------------------------- GRUB ...

  1. GRUB Loading Error

    I just installed Minix 3.1.2 on an old Pentium-133 laptop. There were
    no problems with the installation and I used the default answers to all
    of the questions.

    Now, when I try to boot, I see the following:

    ----------------------------
    GRUB Loading stage 1.5

    GRUB loading, please wait

    Error 17
    ----------------------------

    That's where it stops. Any ideas?

    I don't know if this is relevant, but I had to install with a boot
    floppy. As I mentioned in another post, the boot floppy image on the
    Minix 3 web site is not the same as the boot floppy image included on
    the ISO CDROM. The one from the web site did not work; the one from the
    CDROM did work. Also, I had to use "ata_no_dma=1".

    Duane

  2. Re: GRUB Loading Error

    On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 12:07:22 -0400, Duane A. Damiano wrote:

    > I just installed Minix 3.1.2 on an old Pentium-133 laptop. There were no
    > problems with the installation and I used the default answers to all of
    > the questions.
    >
    > Now, when I try to boot, I see the following:
    >
    > ----------------------------
    > GRUB Loading stage 1.5
    >
    > GRUB loading, please wait
    >
    > Error 17
    > ----------------------------
    >
    > That's where it stops. Any ideas?

    From the GRUB manual:

    17 : Cannot mount selected partition
    This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but the
    filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB.

    Did you setup menu.lst to load Minix with the chain loader? If yes, then
    I'd guess you've specified the disk partition incorrectly. Check out the
    Grub manual using a link at: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/

    regards,
    tony

  3. Re: GRUB Loading Error

    "Duane A. Damiano" writes:

    > I just installed Minix 3.1.2 on an old Pentium-133 laptop. There were
    > no problems with the installation and I used the default answers to
    > all of the questions.
    >
    > Now, when I try to boot, I see the following:
    >
    > ----------------------------
    > GRUB Loading stage 1.5
    >
    > GRUB loading, please wait
    >
    > Error 17
    > ----------------------------
    >
    > That's where it stops. Any ideas?

    Has Grub been on the Laptop before or does it come with Minix these
    days? If the first, then your problem is, that you haven't installed
    the Minix bootblock in the MBR and Grub doesn't know yet which
    partition to start and how. But that is simple: Stop Grub and edit the
    boot command. You need to chainload the first block of the Minix
    partiation (which hopefully has the boot block gotten installed during
    Minix installation), then everything will be fine.

    Regards -- Markus

  4. Re: GRUB Loading Error

    tony B writes:

    > On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 12:07:22 -0400, Duane A. Damiano wrote:
    >
    >> I just installed Minix 3.1.2 on an old Pentium-133 laptop. There were no
    >> problems with the installation and I used the default answers to all of
    >> the questions.
    >>
    >> Now, when I try to boot, I see the following:
    >>
    >> ----------------------------
    >> GRUB Loading stage 1.5
    >>
    >> GRUB loading, please wait
    >>
    >> Error 17
    >> ----------------------------
    >>
    >> That's where it stops. Any ideas?

    > From the GRUB manual:
    >
    > 17 : Cannot mount selected partition
    > This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but the
    > filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB.
    >

    > Did you setup menu.lst to load Minix with the chain loader? If yes, then
    > I'd guess you've specified the disk partition incorrectly. Check out the
    > Grub manual using a link at: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/

    I think what happened, is that he had a Linux in the pertition where
    he installed the Minix. Now grub is trying to load the Linux kernel
    from an ext2, instead of trying to pick up the first boot block of the
    Minix partition.

    Regards -- Markus

  5. Re: GRUB Loading Error

    You are right. I previously had DSL (Damn Small Linux) installed on
    this laptop. However, I had no intention keeping anything from that
    installation or making the computer dual boot. I just wanted a fresh
    Minix 3 install. So, why didn't the Minix 3 installer erase everything
    and install its own stuff?

    I don't mind doing a fresh install. How do I tell the Minix 3 install
    script to forget the past and just make the machine bootable?

    Duane

    Markus E Leypold wrote:
    > "Duane A. Damiano" writes:
    >
    >> I just installed Minix 3.1.2 on an old Pentium-133 laptop. There were
    >> no problems with the installation and I used the default answers to
    >> all of the questions.
    >>
    >> Now, when I try to boot, I see the following:
    >>
    >> ----------------------------
    >> GRUB Loading stage 1.5
    >>
    >> GRUB loading, please wait
    >>
    >> Error 17
    >> ----------------------------
    >>
    >> That's where it stops. Any ideas?

    > Has Grub been on the Laptop before or does it come with Minix these
    > days? If the first, then your problem is, that you haven't installed
    > the Minix bootblock in the MBR and Grub doesn't know yet which
    > partition to start and how. But that is simple: Stop Grub and edit the
    > boot command. You need to chainload the first block of the Minix
    > partiation (which hopefully has the boot block gotten installed during
    > Minix installation), then everything will be fine.
    >
    > Regards -- Markus

  6. Re: GRUB Loading Error

    "Duane A. Damiano" writes:

    > Markus E Leypold wrote:

    >> Has Grub been on the Laptop before or does it come with Minix these
    >> days? If the first, then your problem is, that you haven't installed
    >> the Minix bootblock in the MBR and Grub doesn't know yet which
    >> partition to start and how. But that is simple: Stop Grub and edit the
    >> boot command. You need to chainload the first block of the Minix
    >> partiation (which hopefully has the boot block gotten installed during
    >> Minix installation), then everything will be fine.
    >> Regards -- Markus

    > --

    Please don't top-post.

    > You are right. I previously had DSL (Damn Small Linux) installed on
    > this laptop. However, I had no intention keeping anything from that
    > installation or making the computer dual boot. I just wanted a fresh
    > Minix 3 install. So, why didn't the Minix 3 installer erase
    > everything and install its own stuff?

    The HD MBR strictly doesn't belong to the domain of the operating
    system. Minix doesn't touch the MBR.

    The standard MBR just boots the first activated partition. You could
    try to restore it using DOS or windows (web search for 'fixmbr') or
    you could just continue using Grub: Then you have to edit the boot
    list, see the Grub docs for this. Acually using Grub as master boot
    strikes me as the best solution.

    > I don't mind doing a fresh install. How do I tell the Minix 3 install
    > script to forget the past and just make the machine bootable?

    See above :-)

    I don't know wether there is any way to restore the MBR from
    Minix. Certainly a new installation is not required.

    Regards -- Markus

  7. Re: GRUB Loading Error

    In article <40wt1jn6qo.fsf@hod.lan.m-e-leypold.de>,
    Markus E Leypold
    wrote:
    >I don't know wether there is any way to restore the MBR from
    >Minix. Certainly a new installation is not required.

    installboot -m