port the minix3 to embedded platform - Minix

This is a discussion on port the minix3 to embedded platform - Minix ; We are going to port the minix3 to S3C44B0 and S3C2410The S3C44B0 EvalBoard can run uC/OS II, and uCLinux, and S3C2410.EvalBoardcan run Linux and WinCE. We have posted something in this news group. But we cannot find our post now. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. port the minix3 to embedded platform

    We are going to port the minix3 to S3C44B0 and S3C2410The S3C44B0
    EvalBoard can run uC/OS II, and uCLinux, and S3C2410.EvalBoardcan run
    Linux and WinCE.

    We have posted something in this news group. But we cannot find our
    post now.

    We have studied the book about Minix3, and used the minix3 in PC. We
    are familiar with the uC/OS II and VxWork for ARM, and use the ADS for
    uC/OS II, and Tornado for VxWork.We are going to port the Minix3 to
    the embedded platform, and develop an IDE for Minix3 development with
    Eclipse Workbench, write something for solving the priority inversion,
    and a message-based Graphic system. We will use the Minix3 for mobile
    terminal of our electrical payment system.

    Our team will transfer to Beijing from Guangdong P.R.China about May
    or June this year. We have done something on this project. We want to
    post an outline of our work with chinese in some chinese website. The
    chinese embedded system website we used now are unavailable now. If
    someone can give some information for chinese embedded system
    website which Beijing embedded system guys enjoy extremely, pls give
    us e-mail.

    If anyone in P.R.China is interested in our project, pls contact with
    me.

    Thanks for any information.

    fp_gz

  2. Re: port the minix3 to embedded platform

    On Mar 8, 8:11 pm, "fp_gz" wrote:
    > We are going to port the minix3 to S3C44B0 and S3C2410The S3C44B0
    > EvalBoard can run uC/OS II, and uCLinux, and S3C2410.EvalBoardcan run
    > Linux and WinCE.
    >
    > We have posted something in this news group. But we cannot find our
    > post now.
    >
    > We have studied the book about Minix3, and used the minix3 in PC. We
    > are familiar with the uC/OS II and VxWork for ARM, and use the ADS for
    > uC/OS II, and Tornado for VxWork.We are going to port the Minix3 to
    > the embedded platform, and develop an IDE for Minix3 development with
    > Eclipse Workbench, write something for solving the priority inversion,
    > and a message-based Graphic system. We will use the Minix3 for mobile
    > terminal of our electrical payment system.
    >
    > Our team will transfer to Beijing from Guangdong P.R.China about May
    > or June this year. We have done something on this project. We want to
    > post an outline of our work with chinese in some chinese website. The
    > chinese embedded system website we used now are unavailable now. If
    > someone can give some information for chinese embedded system
    > website which Beijing embedded system guys enjoy extremely, pls give
    > us e-mail.
    >
    > If anyone in P.R.China is interested in our project, pls contact with
    > me.
    >
    > Thanks for any information.
    >
    > fp_gz

    I am interested in you project, I know something about linux in ARM
    platform. if you need, maybe i can something for this project.

  3. Re: port the minix3 to embedded platform

    On Mar 9, 2:36 pm, kuiguo...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Mar 8, 8:11 pm, "fp_gz" wrote:
    >

    > > We are going to port the minix3 to S3C44B0 and S3C2410The S3C44B0
    > > EvalBoard can run uC/OS II, and uCLinux, and S3C2410.EvalBoardcan run
    > > Linux and WinCE.

    > > We have posted something in this news group. But we cannot find our
    > > post now.

    > > We have studied the book about Minix3, and used the minix3 in PC. We
    > > are familiar with the uC/OS II and VxWork for ARM, and use the ADS for
    > > uC/OS II, and Tornado for VxWork.We are going to port the Minix3 to
    > > the embedded platform, and develop an IDE for Minix3 development with
    > > Eclipse Workbench, write something for solving the priority inversion,
    > > and a message-based Graphic system. We will use the Minix3 for mobile
    > > terminal of our electrical payment system.

    > > Our team will transfer to Beijing from Guangdong P.R.China about May
    > > or June this year. We have done something on this project. We want to
    > > post an outline of our work with chinese in some chinese website. The
    > > chinese embedded system website we used now are unavailable now. If
    > > someone can give some information for chinese embedded system
    > > website which Beijing embedded system guys enjoy extremely, pls give
    > > us e-mail.

    > > If anyone in P.R.China is interested in our project, pls contact with
    > > me.

    > > Thanks for any information.

    > > fp_gz

    > I am interested in you project, I know something about linux in ARM
    > platform. if you need, maybe i can something for this project.- Hide quoted text -

    where you locate? i wish we can have meeting.

  4. Re: port the minix3 to embedded platform

    On 3月8日, 下午8时11分, "fp_gz" wrote:
    > We are going to port the minix3 to S3C44B0 and S3C2410The S3C44B0
    > EvalBoard can run uC/OS II, and uCLinux, and S3C2410.EvalBoardcan run
    > Linux and WinCE.
    >
    > We have posted something in this news group. But we cannot find our
    > post now.
    >
    > We have studied the book about Minix3, and used the minix3 in PC. We
    > are familiar with the uC/OS II and VxWork for ARM, and use the ADS for
    > uC/OS II, and Tornado for VxWork.We are going to port the Minix3 to
    > the embedded platform, and develop an IDE for Minix3 development with
    > Eclipse Workbench, write something for solving the priority inversion,
    > and a message-based Graphic system. We will use the Minix3 for mobile
    > terminal of our electrical payment system.
    >
    > Our team will transfer to Beijing from Guangdong P.R.China about May
    > or June this year. We have done something on this project. We want to
    > post an outline of our work with chinese in some chinese website. The
    > chinese embedded system website we used now are unavailable now. If
    > someone can give some information for chinese embedded system
    > website which Beijing embedded system guys enjoy extremely, pls give
    > us e-mail.
    >
    > If anyone in P.R.China is interested in our project, pls contact with
    > me.
    >
    > Thanks for any information.
    >
    > fp_gz

    Hello, I'm also interested in your project and have experience on MCU
    etc.
    Maybe I can do something for this project if you need. I am in
    Guangzhou.

  5. Re: port the minix3 to embedded platform

    On Mar 10, 11:13*am, javier...@126.com wrote:
    > On 3鏈8鏃, 涓嬪崍8鏃11鍒, "fp_gz" wrote:
    >

    > > We are going to port the minix3 to S3C44B0 and S3C2410The S3C44B0
    > > EvalBoard can run uC/OS II, and uCLinux, and S3C2410.EvalBoardcan run
    > > Linux and WinCE.

    > > We have posted something in this news group. But we cannot find our
    > > post now.

    > > We have studied the book about Minix3, and used the minix3 in PC. We
    > > are familiar with the uC/OS II and VxWork for ARM, and use the ADS for
    > > uC/OS II, and Tornado for VxWork.We are going to port the Minix3 to
    > > the embedded platform, and develop an IDE for Minix3 development with
    > > Eclipse Workbench, write something for solving the priority inversion,
    > > and a message-based Graphic system. We will use the Minix3 for mobile
    > > terminal of our electrical payment system.

    > > Our team will transfer to Beijing from Guangdong P.R.China about May
    > > or June this year. We have done something on this project. We *want to
    > > post an outline of our work with chinese in some chinese website. The
    > > chinese embedded system website *we used now are unavailable now. *If
    > > someone can give some information for *chinese embedded system
    > > website *which Beijing embedded system guys enjoy extremely, pls give
    > > us e-mail.

    > > *If anyone in P.R.China is interested in our project, pls contact with
    > > me.

    > > Thanks for any information.

    > > fp_gz

    > Hello, I'm also interested in your project and have experience on MCU
    > etc.
    > Maybe I can do something for this project if you need. I am in
    > Guangzhou.- Hide quoted text -

    Our partners ask us go to BJ to demo our works to some officials. Our
    Company is in BJ.
    You know that the headquaters of the national fianacial and telecom
    companies are in BJ. They make decision. The provincial branch cannot.
    We are welcome the guys familiar with OS(Linux, VxWork, WinCE),
    Eclipse development.
    We had posted some in the http://www.myembed.com/bbs/, and in this
    newsgroup. But they were deleted. I don't know why? We want to post
    something to describe what we are going to do.
    Anybody who have expertise, want to work hard, and want to be rich are
    welcome.
    If someone have interesting, pls e-mail your contact way to me. I will
    contact you.

  6. Re: port the minix3 to embedded platform

    On Mar 10, 11:13*am, javier...@126.com wrote:
    > On 3鏈8鏃, 涓嬪崍8鏃11鍒, "fp_gz" wrote:
    >

    > > We are going to port the minix3 to S3C44B0 and S3C2410The S3C44B0
    > > EvalBoard can run uC/OS II, and uCLinux, and S3C2410.EvalBoardcan run
    > > Linux and WinCE.

    > > We have posted something in this news group. But we cannot find our
    > > post now.

    > > We have studied the book about Minix3, and used the minix3 in PC. We
    > > are familiar with the uC/OS II and VxWork for ARM, and use the ADS for
    > > uC/OS II, and Tornado for VxWork.We are going to port the Minix3 to
    > > the embedded platform, and develop an IDE for Minix3 development with
    > > Eclipse Workbench, write something for solving the priority inversion,
    > > and a message-based Graphic system. We will use the Minix3 for mobile
    > > terminal of our electrical payment system.

    > > Our team will transfer to Beijing from Guangdong P.R.China about May
    > > or June this year. We have done something on this project. We *want to
    > > post an outline of our work with chinese in some chinese website. The
    > > chinese embedded system website *we used now are unavailable now. *If
    > > someone can give some information for *chinese embedded system
    > > website *which Beijing embedded system guys enjoy extremely, pls give
    > > us e-mail.

    > > *If anyone in P.R.China is interested in our project, pls contact with
    > > me.

    > > Thanks for any information.

    > > fp_gz

    > Hello, I'm also interested in your project and have experience on MCU
    > etc.
    > Maybe I can do something for this project if you need. I am in
    > Guangzhou.- Hide quoted text -

    We are welcome the guys familiar with OS(Linux, VxWork, WinCE), ARM,
    and have
    Eclipse development expertise.
    If you have interesting, pls e-mail your contact way to me. I will
    contact you.

  7. Re: port the minix3 to embedded platform

    On Mar 10, 5:22*pm, "fp_gz" wrote:
    > On Mar 10, 11:13*am, javier...@126.com wrote:
    >

    > > On 3鏈8鏃, 涓嬪崍8鏃11鍒, "fp_gz" wrote:

    > > > We are going to port the minix3 to S3C44B0 and S3C2410The S3C44B0
    > > > EvalBoard can run uC/OS II, and uCLinux, and S3C2410.EvalBoardcan run
    > > > Linux and WinCE.

    > > > We have posted something in this news group. But we cannot find our
    > > > post now.

    > > > We have studied the book about Minix3, and used the minix3 in PC. We
    > > > are familiar with the uC/OS II and VxWork for ARM, and use the ADS for
    > > > uC/OS II, and Tornado for VxWork.We are going to port the Minix3 to
    > > > the embedded platform, and develop an IDE for Minix3 development with
    > > > Eclipse Workbench, write something for solving the priority inversion,
    > > > and a message-based Graphic system. We will use the Minix3 for mobile
    > > > terminal of our electrical payment system.

    > > > Our team will transfer to Beijing from Guangdong P.R.China about May
    > > > or June this year. We have done something on this project. We *want to
    > > > post an outline of our work with chinese in some chinese website. The
    > > > chinese embedded system website *we used now are unavailable now.. *If
    > > > someone can give some information for *chinese embedded system
    > > > website *which Beijing embedded system guys enjoy extremely, plsgive
    > > > us e-mail.

    > > > *If anyone in P.R.China is interested in our project, pls contact with
    > > > me.

    > > > Thanks for any information.

    > > > fp_gz

    > > Hello, I'm also interested in your project and have experience on MCU
    > > etc.
    > > Maybe I can do something for this project if you need. I am in
    > > Guangzhou.- Hide quoted text -

    > We are welcome the guys familiar with OS(Linux, VxWork, WinCE), ARM,
    > and have
    > Eclipse development expertise.
    > If you have interesting, pls e-mail your contact way to me. I will
    > contact you.- Hide quoted text -

    Of course, we welcome the Minix3 boys.

  8. Re: port the minix3 to embedded platform

    On Mar 11, 8:56 pm, "fp_gz" wrote:
    > On Mar 10, 5:22 pm, "fp_gz" wrote:

    > > > Hello, I'm also interested in your project and have experience on MCU
    > > > etc.
    > > > Maybe I can do something for this project if you need. I am in
    > > > Guangzhou.- Hide quoted text -

    > > We are welcome the guys familiar with OS(Linux, VxWork, WinCE), ARM,
    > > and have
    > > Eclipse development expertise.
    > > If you have interesting, pls e-mail your contact way to me. I will
    > > contact you.- Hide quoted text -

    > Of course, we welcome the Minix3 boys.

    Will you later on also make this porting plan, development progress
    and its source code public?
    Best,
    Cookie

  9. Re: port the minix3 to embedded platform

    why not linux?
    "fp_gz"
    ??????:1173355902.607267.209130@8g2000cwh.googlegr oups.com...
    > We are going to port the minix3 to S3C44B0 and S3C2410The S3C44B0
    > EvalBoard can run uC/OS II, and uCLinux, and S3C2410.EvalBoardcan run
    > Linux and WinCE.
    >
    > We have posted something in this news group. But we cannot find our
    > post now.
    >
    > We have studied the book about Minix3, and used the minix3 in PC. We
    > are familiar with the uC/OS II and VxWork for ARM, and use the ADS for
    > uC/OS II, and Tornado for VxWork.We are going to port the Minix3 to
    > the embedded platform, and develop an IDE for Minix3 development with
    > Eclipse Workbench, write something for solving the priority inversion,
    > and a message-based Graphic system. We will use the Minix3 for mobile
    > terminal of our electrical payment system.
    >
    > Our team will transfer to Beijing from Guangdong P.R.China about May
    > or June this year. We have done something on this project. We want to
    > post an outline of our work with chinese in some chinese website. The
    > chinese embedded system website we used now are unavailable now. If
    > someone can give some information for chinese embedded system
    > website which Beijing embedded system guys enjoy extremely, pls give
    > us e-mail.
    >
    > If anyone in P.R.China is interested in our project, pls contact with
    > me.
    >
    > Thanks for any information.
    >
    > fp_gz

  10. Re: port the minix3 to embedded platform

    On Mar 14, 9:46 am, "yang" wrote:
    > why not linux?
    > "fp_gz"
    > ??????:1173355902.607267.209...@8g2000cwh.googlegr oups.com...
    >

    > > We are going to port the minix3 to S3C44B0 and S3C2410The S3C44B0
    > > EvalBoard can run uC/OS II, and uCLinux, and S3C2410.EvalBoardcan run
    > > Linux and WinCE.

    > > We have posted something in this news group. But we cannot find our
    > > post now.

    > > We have studied the book about Minix3, and used the minix3 in PC. We
    > > are familiar with the uC/OS II and VxWork for ARM, and use the ADS for
    > > uC/OS II, and Tornado for VxWork.We are going to port the Minix3 to
    > > the embedded platform, and develop an IDE for Minix3 development with
    > > Eclipse Workbench, write something for solving the priority inversion,
    > > and a message-based Graphic system. We will use the Minix3 for mobile
    > > terminal of our electrical payment system.

    > > Our team will transfer to Beijing from Guangdong P.R.China about May
    > > or June this year. We have done something on this project. We want to
    > > post an outline of our work with chinese in some chinese website. The
    > > chinese embedded system website we used now are unavailable now. If
    > > someone can give some information for chinese embedded system
    > > website which Beijing embedded system guys enjoy extremely, pls give
    > > us e-mail.

    > > If anyone in P.R.China is interested in our project, pls contact with
    > > me.

    > > Thanks for any information.

    > > fp_gz- Hide quoted text -

    why Linux???

  11. Re: port the minix3 to embedded platform

    On Mar 14, 7:32 pm, "fp_gz" wrote:
    > On Mar 14, 9:46 am, "yang" wrote:
    >

    > > why not linux?
    > > "fp_gz"
    > > ??????:1173355902.607267.209...@8g2000cwh.googlegr oups.com...

    > > > We are going to port the minix3 to S3C44B0 and S3C2410The S3C44B0
    > > > EvalBoard can run uC/OS II, and uCLinux, and S3C2410.EvalBoardcan run
    > > > Linux and WinCE.

    > > > We have posted something in this news group. But we cannot find our
    > > > post now.

    > > > We have studied the book about Minix3, and used the minix3 in PC. We
    > > > are familiar with the uC/OS II and VxWork for ARM, and use the ADS for
    > > > uC/OS II, and Tornado for VxWork.We are going to port the Minix3 to
    > > > the embedded platform, and develop an IDE for Minix3 development with
    > > > Eclipse Workbench, write something for solving the priority inversion,
    > > > and a message-based Graphic system. We will use the Minix3 for mobile
    > > > terminal of our electrical payment system.

    > > > Our team will transfer to Beijing from Guangdong P.R.China about May
    > > > or June this year. We have done something on this project. We want to
    > > > post an outline of our work with chinese in some chinese website. The
    > > > chinese embedded system website we used now are unavailable now. If
    > > > someone can give some information for chinese embedded system
    > > > website which Beijing embedded system guys enjoy extremely, pls give
    > > > us e-mail.

    > > > If anyone in P.R.China is interested in our project, pls contact with
    > > > me.

    > > > Thanks for any information.

    > > > fp_gz- Hide quoted text -

    > why Linux???- Hide quoted text -

    we have posted somthing on:
    http://www.myembed.com/bbs/forum_pos...?TID=2457&PN=6

  12. Re: port the minix3 to embedded platform

    "yang" writes:

    > why not linux?
    > "fp_gz"
    > ??????:1173355902.607267.209130@8g2000cwh.googlegr oups.com...
    >> We are going to port the minix3 to S3C44B0 and S3C2410The S3C44B0
    >> EvalBoard can run uC/OS II, and uCLinux, and S3C2410.EvalBoardcan run
    >> Linux and WinCE.

    While we are at why-notting: And why not NetBSD? Why not nanobsd?

    And why top posting?

    Regards -- Markus

  13. Re: port the minix3 to embedded platform

    On Mar 14, 8:37 pm, Markus E Leypold
    wrote:
    > "yang" writes:
    > > why not linux?
    > > "fp_gz"
    > > ??????:1173355902.607267.209...@8g2000cwh.googlegr oups.com...
    > >> We are going to port the minix3 to S3C44B0 and S3C2410The S3C44B0
    > >> EvalBoard can run uC/OS II, and uCLinux, and S3C2410.EvalBoardcan run
    > >> Linux and WinCE.

    > While we are at why-notting: And why not NetBSD? Why not nanobsd?
    >
    > And why top posting?
    >
    > Regards -- Markus

    we are going to work on embedded OS!!!

  14. Re: port the minix3 to embedded platform

    "fp_gz" writes:

    > On Mar 14, 8:37 pm, Markus E Leypold
    > wrote:
    >> "yang" writes:
    >> > why not linux?
    >> > "fp_gz"
    >> > ??????:1173355902.607267.209...@8g2000cwh.googlegr oups.com...

    >> While we are at why-notting: And why not NetBSD? Why not nanobsd?
    >>
    >> And why top posting?
    >>
    >> Regards -- Markus

    > we are going to work on embedded OS!!!

    And that is a reasn to top post? I don't know ... :-). But back to
    why-notting:

    That was not a question to you, but to yang: If he
    questions your choice why only under the Linux angle? Why doesn't he
    go the whole way? As far as "embedded OS" goes, NetBSD was once the
    first yhoice for that because of the footprint and the
    modularity. Since it's also a slow moving target, it should still be:
    For consumer "appliances" dropping support pretty soon has become the
    norm. On the other side I know that most industrial embedded
    application require support guarantees in the magnitude of years
    frankly I'd consider that much more feasible with NetBSD than with
    Linux. The death of all those embedded Linux Start-Ups in the 2001/2
    bubble burst of the "New Economy" supports my view, I think.

    YMVV.

    Note that I don't want to question your choice of Minix. But IF one
    must question the choice, only to ask the Linux question is somewhat
    wrong in my eyes.

    Regards -- Markus

  15. Re: port the minix3 to embedded platform

    On Mar 15, 6:35 pm, Markus E Leypold
    wrote:
    > "fp_gz" writes:
    > > On Mar 14, 8:37 pm, Markus E Leypold
    > > wrote:

    > >> While we are at why-notting: And why not NetBSD? Why not nanobsd?

    > >> And why top posting?

    > >> Regards -- Markus

    > > we are going to work on embedded OS!!!

    > And that is a reasn to top post? I don't know ... :-). But back to
    > why-notting:
    >
    > That was not a question to you, but to yang: If he
    > questions your choice why only under the Linux angle? Why doesn't he
    > go the whole way? As far as "embedded OS" goes, NetBSD was once the
    > first yhoice for that because of the footprint and the
    > modularity. Since it's also a slow moving target, it should still be:
    > For consumer "appliances" dropping support pretty soon has become the
    > norm. On the other side I know that most industrial embedded
    > application require support guarantees in the magnitude of years
    > frankly I'd consider that much more feasible with NetBSD than with
    > Linux. The death of all those embedded Linux Start-Ups in the 2001/2
    > bubble burst of the "New Economy" supports my view, I think.
    >
    > YMVV.
    >
    > Note that I don't want to question your choice of Minix. But IF one
    > must question the choice, only to ask the Linux question is somewhat
    > wrong in my eyes.
    >
    > Regards -- Markus- Hide quoted text -

    Minix is microkernel OS. We think embedded RT-OS should be
    microkernel.
    One of the target of Minix3 is cellular phone according to Minix3
    team. This is one of our target application.
    We know OS from minix book. We like Minix.
    We know Minix, Linux, VxWorks, uc/OS, and WinCE. We have no concept
    about other OS.

  16. Re: port the minix3 to embedded platform

    On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Markus E Leypold wrote:

    > And why top posting?

    A quote* from a different forum:

    "If you must quote me, please put your comments first.
    I have already listened to mine.

    I read email with speech.
    So it is not possible to scroll past the quotes without listening to them
    again, to quickly get to the new information."

    3ch

  17. Re: port the minix3 to embedded platform

    colonel_hack@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Markus E Leypold wrote:
    >
    >> And why top posting?

    > A quote* from a different forum:
    >
    > "If you must quote me, please put your comments first.
    > I have already listened to mine.
    >
    > I read email with speech.
    > So it is not possible to scroll past the quotes without listening to
    > them again, to quickly get to the new information."
    >
    > 3ch

    I don't want to start fight, but this is the best argument for top
    posting that I've ever seen. I never thought about it that way.

    -Rich

  18. Re: port the minix3 to embedded platform

    "fp_gz" writes:

    > On Mar 15, 6:35 pm, Markus E Leypold
    > wrote:
    >> "fp_gz" writes:

    >> > we are going to work on embedded OS!!!

    >> And that is a reasn to top post? I don't know ... :-). But back to
    >> why-notting:
    >>
    >> That was not a question to you, but to yang: If he
    >> questions your choice why only under the Linux angle? Why doesn't he
    >> go the whole way? As far as "embedded OS" goes, NetBSD was once the
    >> first yhoice for that because of the footprint and the
    >> modularity. Since it's also a slow moving target, it should still be:
    >> For consumer "appliances" dropping support pretty soon has become the
    >> norm. On the other side I know that most industrial embedded
    >> application require support guarantees in the magnitude of years
    >> frankly I'd consider that much more feasible with NetBSD than with
    >> Linux. The death of all those embedded Linux Start-Ups in the 2001/2
    >> bubble burst of the "New Economy" supports my view, I think.
    >>
    >> YMVV.
    >>
    >> Note that I don't want to question your choice of Minix. But IF one
    >> must question the choice, only to ask the Linux question is somewhat
    >> wrong in my eyes.
    >>
    >> Regards -- Markus- Hide quoted text -

    > Minix is microkernel OS. We think embedded RT-OS should be
    > microkernel.

    As I said, _I_ didn't want to question your choice. My point was more
    with yang and why he's asking the question like this.

    But apart from that: This is certainly an excellent reason to use
    Minix3.

    > One of the target of Minix3 is cellular phone according to Minix3
    > team. This is one of our target application.

    Do I assume right that you don't have VM hardware in the cellular
    phone anyway, so you'd really be happy with the Minix memory
    management as it is now? (Just out of curiosity, I'm interested in the
    structure of the market here).

    > We know OS from minix book. We like Minix.

    A good reason. Dokumentation :-).

    > We know Minix, Linux, VxWorks, uc/OS, and WinCE. We have no concept
    > about other OS.

    QNX? Not that I want to hype it as a Minix alternative.

    Regards -- Markus

  19. Re: port the minix3 to embedded platform

    colonel_hack@yahoo.com writes:

    > On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Markus E Leypold wrote:
    >
    >> And why top posting?

    > A quote* from a different forum:
    >
    > "If you must quote me, please put your comments first.
    > I have already listened to mine.

    Well, quotes are not there to make me/you reread their comments
    again. They are there to establish a context for *others* that read
    our conversation. Usenet is not a forum (e.g. former postings/articles
    are not always visible at the same screen, have sometimes been already
    deleted/lost). And this here IS usenet. It has been good practice NOT
    to top quote for a really long time.

    > I read email with speech.
    > So it is not possible to scroll past the quotes without listening to
    > them again, to quickly get to the new information."

    Well, you're admittedly pointing out a problem here. But since
    netiquette was there first, I'd rather say that your news client /
    speech interface has a problem if it doesn't parse the message
    structure and doesn't allow to skip over quoted parts.

    And BTW: How do you like to listen to a reversed conversation with speech?

    1. Well, quotes are not there to make me/you reread their comments ...
    2. A quote* from a different forum: ...
    3. And why top posting?
    4. Why don't you use Linux? ...
    5. We are using Minix as ...

    That must suck, really.

    Regards -- Markus

  20. Re: port the minix3 to embedded platform

    Richard Pennington writes:

    > colonel_hack@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Markus E Leypold wrote:
    >>
    >>> And why top posting?

    >> A quote* from a different forum:
    >> "If you must quote me, please put your comments first.
    >> I have already listened to mine.
    >> I read email with speech.
    >> So it is not possible to scroll past the quotes without listening to
    >> them again, to quickly get to the new information."
    >> 3ch

    > I don't want to start fight, but this is the best argument for top
    > posting that I've ever seen. I never thought about it that way.

    There are _2_ arguments:

    1. "I've already listened to my comments"

    I've already disposed of that.

    2. Use of speech.

    IMHO it's an argument that his interface to speech is sadly
    lacking. Personally I refuse to make text messages uncomprehensible
    (and break with the tradition of decades) because someone uses bad
    software to read it and the authors of the software cannot be bothered
    to improve it.

    There is enough structure in a properly formatted and quoted message
    to make a functions like "skip to the first / next unquoted bit"
    possible.

    IMHO the usual netiquette (there is even an RFC, BTW) strikes a fine
    and proper balance between written and oral culture. We have the
    dialog character of oral culture together with archivability of a
    written medium AND additionally we have the option to index and search
    messages. This is almost ideal.

    But recently I notice a tendency to lock usenet message into
    proprietary archives (google, esp. google groups), make them not
    machine readable and processable (web forums) or generally treat them
    like an oral medium like telephone (again forums or the shift from
    usenet to IRQ or ICQ. me-too messages and top-posting). For technical
    topics and scientific work this is a loss in my view.

    Regards -- Markus

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast