Cant boot. Cant Install - Minix

This is a discussion on Cant boot. Cant Install - Minix ; I can't install Minix 3 in a Pentium 166 MMX. If I try to boot only with the CD, The bootloader doesn't start. So, I use the bootflop.img image in a floppy disk. Then It crashes saying: Looking for boot ...

  1. Cant boot. Cant Install

    I can't install Minix 3 in a Pentium 166 MMX.

    If I try to boot only with the CD, The bootloader doesn't start.

    So, I use the bootflop.img image in a floppy disk.
    Then It crashes saying:

    Looking for boot CD. This may take a minute.
    Please ignore any error messages.
    unrecognized magic number
    AT-D1: com_out: drive not ready
    AT-D1: controller not ready
    AT-D2: reset failed, drive busy
    AT-D2: reset failed, drive busy
    AT-D2: reset failed, drive busy
    AT-D3: controller not ready
    AT-D3: controller not ready
    AT-D3: reset failed, drive busy
    FS panic (main.c): Cannot open RAM image devide

    If I boot with "ata_no_dma=1" in the boot monitor I get the same.
    The Image is ok. I ran it under VMWare on a Sempron 32bits.
    The cdrom is ok. I can boot other Linux live distributions, and used
    to have Debian in this computer.

    What could be wrong? :s

  2. Re: Cant boot. Cant Install

    I had exactly the same problem a couple of months ago when I tried to
    use Minix3 on a 130 MHz Pentium. That computer cannot boot from a CD,
    so I had to use the boot floppy. I posted the problem to this group,
    but did not get an answer.

    I have installed, at various times, three different Linux distributions
    and OpenBSD on this computer using boot floppies without difficulty.
    There's something fishy about the Minix boot floppy. It doesn't
    recognize our CD ROM drives.

    emartine wrote:
    > I can't install Minix 3 in a Pentium 166 MMX.
    >
    > If I try to boot only with the CD, The bootloader doesn't start.
    >
    > So, I use the bootflop.img image in a floppy disk.
    > Then It crashes saying:
    >
    > Looking for boot CD. This may take a minute.
    > Please ignore any error messages.
    > unrecognized magic number
    > AT-D1: com_out: drive not ready
    > AT-D1: controller not ready
    > AT-D2: reset failed, drive busy
    > AT-D2: reset failed, drive busy
    > AT-D2: reset failed, drive busy
    > AT-D3: controller not ready
    > AT-D3: controller not ready
    > AT-D3: reset failed, drive busy
    > FS panic (main.c): Cannot open RAM image devide
    >
    > If I boot with "ata_no_dma=1" in the boot monitor I get the same.
    > The Image is ok. I ran it under VMWare on a Sempron 32bits.
    > The cdrom is ok. I can boot other Linux live distributions, and used
    > to have Debian in this computer.
    >
    > What could be wrong? :s

  3. Re: Cant boot. Cant Install

    Yes. Probably. I've been with the matter a lot of hours. I will not
    continue trying to boot it anymore.
    Don't you guys say I didnt give it a chance.

    Saludos.
    Andrés M.

    On 8 mar, 23:57, "Duane A. Damiano" wrote:
    > I had exactly the same problem a couple of months ago when I tried to
    > use Minix3 on a 130 MHz Pentium. That computer cannot boot from a CD,
    > so I had to use the boot floppy. I posted the problem to this group,
    > but did not get an answer.
    >
    > I have installed, at various times, three different Linux distributions
    > and OpenBSD on this computer using boot floppies without difficulty.
    > There's something fishy about the Minix boot floppy. It doesn't
    > recognize our CD ROM drives.
    >

    > emartine wrote:
    > > I can't install Minix 3 in a Pentium 166 MMX.

    > > If I try to boot only with the CD, The bootloader doesn't start.

    > > So, I use the bootflop.img image in a floppy disk.
    > > Then It crashes saying:

    > > Looking for boot CD. This may take a minute.
    > > Please ignore any error messages.
    > > unrecognized magic number
    > > AT-D1: com_out: drive not ready
    > > AT-D1: controller not ready
    > > AT-D2: reset failed, drive busy
    > > AT-D2: reset failed, drive busy
    > > AT-D2: reset failed, drive busy
    > > AT-D3: controller not ready
    > > AT-D3: controller not ready
    > > AT-D3: reset failed, drive busy
    > > FS panic (main.c): Cannot open RAM image devide

    > > If I boot with "ata_no_dma=1" in the boot monitor I get the same.
    > > The Image is ok. I ran it under VMWare on a Sempron 32bits.
    > > The cdrom is ok. I can boot other Linux live distributions, and used
    > > to have Debian in this computer.

    > > What could be wrong? :s

    > --

  4. Re: Cant boot. Cant Install

    On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 21:42:15 -0800, emartine wrote:

    > Yes. Probably. I've been with the matter a lot of hours. I will not
    > continue trying to boot it anymore.
    > Don't you guys say I didnt give it a chance.
    >
    > On 8 mar, 23:57, "Duane A. Damiano" wrote:
    >> I had exactly the same problem a couple of months ago when I tried to
    >> use Minix3 on a 130 MHz Pentium. That computer cannot boot from a CD,
    >> so I had to use the boot floppy. I posted the problem to this group,
    >> but did not get an answer.

    The solution to nearly all problems of this type is to use Smart Boot
    Manager (use search engine to find) to make a floppy (get sbminst or
    SBMINST.EXE from the download page) and use that to boot the CD.

    Mark
    --
    Signature missing.

  5. Re: Cant boot. Cant Install

    On 10 mar, 13:49, mark south wrote:

    > The solution to nearly all problems of this type is to use Smart Boot
    > Manager (use search engine to find) to make a floppy (get sbminst or
    > SBMINST.EXE from the download page) and use that to boot the CD.

    Firstly, if you put Smart Boot Manager in the text box of the main
    page, you get no results.
    Seconfly, there is no mention to sbminst or SBMINST.EXE in the
    download page.

    Saludos.

    Andrés M.

  6. Re: Cant boot. Cant Install

    On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 17:03:01 -0800, emartine wrote:

    > On 10 mar, 13:49, mark south wrote:
    >
    >> The solution to nearly all problems of this type is to use Smart Boot
    >> Manager (use search engine to find) to make a floppy (get sbminst or
    >> SBMINST.EXE from the download page) and use that to boot the CD.

    > Firstly, if you put Smart Boot Manager in the text box of the main
    > page, you get no results.

    Eppur si muove.

    I typed "smart boot manager" into google and it gave me

    http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/

    as the first link, whence clicking on 3.7/ took me to a list including
    both sbminst and sbminst.exe.

    The second link it gave me was to

    http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/download.html

    > Seconfly, there is no mention to sbminst or SBMINST.EXE in the
    > download page.

    ....where sbminst and sbminst.exe are two of the first three items.

    CONCLUSION: your version of google is broken, you need to upgrade to the
    current version.

    SBM will still most likely solve your booting problem though.

    Mark
    --
    Signature still missing.

  7. Re: Cant boot. Cant Install

    > I typed "smart boot manager" into google and it gave me
    >
    > http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > as the first link, whence clicking on 3.7/ took me to a list including
    > both sbminst and sbminst.exe.
    >
    > The second link it gave me was to
    >
    > http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/download.html
    >
    > > Seconfly, there is no mention to sbminst or SBMINST.EXE in the
    > > download page.

    > ...where sbminst and sbminst.exe are two of the first three items.
    >
    > CONCLUSION: your version of google is broken, you need to upgrade to the
    > current version.
    >
    > SBM will still most likely solve your booting problem though.
    >
    > Mark
    > --
    > Signature still missing.

    Thanks for answering. I thought I was supposed to search in the site.
    I'll try to check it as soon as I can.

    Saludos.
    Andrés M.

  8. Re: Cant boot. Cant Install

    On 12 mar, 21:37, "emartine" wrote:
    > > I typed "smart boot manager" into google and it gave me

    > >http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/

    > > as the first link, whence clicking on 3.7/ took me to a list including
    > > both sbminst and sbminst.exe.

    > > The second link it gave me was to

    > >http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/download.html

    > > > Seconfly, there is no mention to sbminst or SBMINST.EXE in the
    > > > download page.

    > > ...where sbminst and sbminst.exe are two of the first three items.

    > > CONCLUSION: your version of google is broken, you need to upgrade to the
    > > current version.

    > > SBM will still most likely solve your booting problem though.

    > > Mark
    > > --
    > > Signature still missing.

    > Thanks for answering. I thought I was supposed to search in the site.
    > I'll try to check it as soon as I can.
    >
    > Saludos.
    > Andrés M.

    Finally, I was able to boot it with no problem using SBM.
    The new thing is that when I try to install it in the hard disk, it
    finds it succesfully but when finally is starting to write to the
    disk, this happens:

    This is a point of no return. You have selected to install MINIX 3
    into region 0 of disk.
    /dev/c0d2. Please confirm....: Y
    Autopart internal error (part no found) (nothing written)
    Autopart tool failed. Trying again.
    /dev/ is not a block device.

    And what is this??? Is it my fault for having an old pentium?

    Saludos.
    Andrés M.

  9. Different Boot Floppies

    I discovered that the boot bootflop.img file on the download section of
    the Minix 3 web site is not the same as the bootflop.img file on the ISO
    image disk. (They have different MD5 sums.) The boot floppy image from
    the ISO disk did work for me. My CDROM was recognized and I was able to
    install Minix 3.

    After installation it wouldn't boot, but I'll make another post about that.

    Duane