USB Image? - Minix

This is a discussion on USB Image? - Minix ; How exactly does the USB image work? When I "copy" the file to my USB stick, it simply copies the entire usb_image-3.1.2a file. Is there any software that should be used to extract anything, or is this it? I feel ...

  1. USB Image?

    How exactly does the USB image work? When I "copy" the file to my USB
    stick, it simply copies the entire usb_image-3.1.2a file. Is there any
    software that should be used to extract anything, or is this it?

    I feel like I'm missing something obvious...
    Thanks,
    DWRZ

  2. Re: USB Image?

    All,

    > How exactly does the USB image work? When I "copy" the file to my USB
    > stick, it simply copies the entire usb_image-3.1.2a file. Is there any
    > software that should be used to extract anything, or is this it?
    >
    > I feel like I'm missing something obvious...

    Write the usb image file to the usb device sector-by-sector. In other
    words, don't write it to a FAT filesystem on the usb device, but write
    the file to it starting at the 0th sector. This will, of course,
    effectively wipe all other information that was on the usb device.

    Then you can boot from the usb device if your BIOS supports that.

    As this is a FAQ, I've added this to the FAQ.

    =Ben

+ Reply to Thread