No luck with qemu - Minix

This is a discussion on No luck with qemu - Minix ; usually qemu here boots to whatever I throw at it, minix doesn't. Could it be a download problem ? I think not; due to the bunzip2 getting through smoothly. The md5sum is $ md5sum IDE-3.1.2a.iso 5572a697a3ae7a56aeabeb1871d8b0e2 IDE-3.1.2a.iso I did download ...

  1. No luck with qemu

    usually qemu here boots to whatever I throw at it, minix doesn't.
    Could it be a download problem ? I think not; due to the bunzip2
    getting through smoothly. The md5sum is
    $ md5sum IDE-3.1.2a.iso
    5572a697a3ae7a56aeabeb1871d8b0e2 IDE-3.1.2a.iso

    I did download the 3.1.1 image from http://free.oszoo.org, and it
    boots properly.
    The iso image as above starts, but fails whatever I do after the last
    line with 'init'
    $ qemu -cdrom IDE-3.1.2a.iso -boot d
    is my command.

    Any hint, anything done wrong on my side ?

    Uwe

  2. Re: No luck with qemu

    All,

    On 2007-03-07, udippel wrote:
    > usually qemu here boots to whatever I throw at it, minix doesn't.
    > Could it be a download problem ? I think not; due to the bunzip2
    > getting through smoothly. The md5sum is
    > $ md5sum IDE-3.1.2a.iso
    > 5572a697a3ae7a56aeabeb1871d8b0e2 IDE-3.1.2a.iso

    That md5sum is OK.

    > I did download the 3.1.1 image from http://free.oszoo.org, and it
    > boots properly.
    > The iso image as above starts, but fails whatever I do after the last
    > line with 'init'
    > $ qemu -cdrom IDE-3.1.2a.iso -boot d
    > is my command.
    >
    > Any hint, anything done wrong on my side ?

    Not sure. How far do you get exactly and what happens?

    I know there's something 'wrong' with a hlt instruction issued by the
    minix boot monitor when qemu is used with the kvm module for native
    execution. I guess that should fail before booting however.

    =Ben

  3. Re: No luck with qemu

    On Mar 7, 10:02 pm, Ben Gras wrote:

    > That md5sum is OK.

    Good.

    > Not sure. How far do you get exactly and what happens?

    I made a screenshot, but it seems I can't attach it.
    It boots and stops at around line 10 of the boot messages, a line
    ending with 'init', whatever I do; either pressing '1' or '2'.
    The last line is
    067b000 067d000 7056 2412 1356 768 init
    respectively
    0225000 0227000 7056 2412 1356 768 init
    That's it. over.
    While that image from oszoo.org passes by this instruction and boots
    up properly (alas very limited content, only around 15 MB).

    > I know there's something 'wrong' with a hlt instruction issued by the
    > minix boot monitor whenqemuis used with the kvm module for native
    > execution. I guess that should fail before booting however.

    No, that was actually a good hint. -no-kqemu makes it pass that stage
    and come up with a login prompt.

    I should say: done.

    Thanks,

    Uwe