ftp and scp problems - Minix

This is a discussion on ftp and scp problems - Minix ; Running on Q (qemu port) on Mac OS X, if I try to ftp in passive mode either to the hosts machine or elsewhere, in passive mode ls etc. result in ftp: error on ioctl NWIOTCPCONN: invalid argument I've seen ...

  1. ftp and scp problems

    Running on Q (qemu port) on Mac OS X, if I try to ftp in passive mode
    either to the hosts machine or elsewhere, in passive mode ls etc. result
    in

    ftp: error on ioctl NWIOTCPCONN: invalid argument

    I've seen a few posts on this in the past but no definitive fix.

    (FTP in active mode results in Illegal PORT command rejected even when
    not going through a firewall).

    This is with an install off the 3.1.2a CD, nothing much set up, except I
    installed ssh which works ... but scp doesn't, it hangs after the
    password.

    I'm sure this used to work but I've just tried ftp with an old install
    of 3.1.1 with the same results.

    A bit frustrating for copying stuff over from other machines.

    Any fixes?

    --
    Philip Machanick

  2. Re: ftp and scp problems

    On Mar 2, 3:29 pm, Philip Machanick wrote:
    > Running on Q (qemu port) on Mac OS X, if I try to ftp in passive mode
    > either to the hosts machine or elsewhere, in passive mode ls etc. result
    > in
    >
    > ftp: error on ioctl NWIOTCPCONN: invalid argument
    >
    > I've seen a few posts on this in the past but no definitive fix.
    >
    > (FTP in active mode results in Illegal PORT command rejected even when
    > not going through a firewall).
    >
    > This is with an install off the 3.1.2a CD, nothing much set up, except I> installed ssh which works ... but scp doesn't, it hangs after the
    > password.
    >
    > I'm sure this used to work but I've just tried ftp with an old install
    > of 3.1.1 with the same results.
    >
    > A bit frustrating for copying stuff over from other machines.
    >
    > Any fixes?
    >
    > --
    > Philip Machanick

    I had similar problem using 3.1.2a. I have also tried the 3.1.3rc1.
    Finally I settled for the version that came with the book OSDI ed 3.
    For studying it is the best to have the documented version.
    Then I tried 4 different routers. Dl-Link DI524, Netgear WGR614v6,
    Cisco Linksys WRT54Gv5. Finally I chose the Buffalo WHR-G54S
    router that I flushed with custom firmware called DD-WRT version 23
    SP2
    generic from dd-wrt.com. That solved this and other connecting
    problems.
    I am running telnetd and ftpd servers as well. I have the minix box
    behind this router using port forwarding only. The DMZ feature
    of the router is disabled. I can connect using telnet and ftp to the
    outside world. Also I can connect from the outside to my minix.
    It even works from mobile phone running java telnet client.
    Karel

  3. Re: ftp and scp problems

    In article <1172829045.626333.284910@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups. com>,
    "karel" wrote:

    > On Mar 2, 3:29 pm, Philip Machanick wrote:
    > > Running on Q (qemu port) on Mac OS X, if I try to ftp in passive mode
    > > either to the hosts machine or elsewhere, in passive mode ls etc. result
    > > in
    > >
    > > ftp: error on ioctl NWIOTCPCONN: invalid argument
    > >
    > > I've seen a few posts on this in the past but no definitive fix.
    > >
    > > (FTP in active mode results in Illegal PORT command rejected even when
    > > not going through a firewall).
    > >
    > > This is with an install off the 3.1.2a CD, nothing much set up, except I>
    > > installed ssh which works ... but scp doesn't, it hangs after the
    > > password.
    > >
    > > I'm sure this used to work but I've just tried ftp with an old install
    > > of 3.1.1 with the same results.
    > >
    > > A bit frustrating for copying stuff over from other machines.
    > >
    > > Any fixes?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Philip Machanick

    > I had similar problem using 3.1.2a. I have also tried the 3.1.3rc1.
    > Finally I settled for the version that came with the book OSDI ed 3.
    > For studying it is the best to have the documented version.
    > Then I tried 4 different routers. Dl-Link DI524, Netgear WGR614v6,
    > Cisco Linksys WRT54Gv5. Finally I chose the Buffalo WHR-G54S
    > router that I flushed with custom firmware called DD-WRT version 23
    > SP2
    > generic from dd-wrt.com. That solved this and other connecting
    > problems.
    > I am running telnetd and ftpd servers as well. I have the minix box
    > behind this router using port forwarding only. The DMZ feature
    > of the router is disabled. I can connect using telnet and ftp to the
    > outside world. Also I can connect from the outside to my minix.
    > It even works from mobile phone running java telnet client.
    > Karel

    I'm seeing the same problem with 3.1.1 which I think used to work before.

    Any other ideas? (This is with Q 0.8.1a35.)

    --
    Philip Machanick

  4. Re: ftp and scp problems

    I've tried this again with Q 0.7.2 which has no option to set the
    network type when configuring the emulated PC. This time ftp to a
    machine not across a network works, but anything that needs passive mode
    doesn't -- so this may be a problem with Q. 0.9.0d64 has the same
    problem.

    Anyone else seen something similar?

    In article ,
    Philip Machanick wrote:

    > In article <1172829045.626333.284910@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups. com>,
    > "karel" wrote:
    >
    > > On Mar 2, 3:29 pm, Philip Machanick wrote:
    > > > Running on Q (qemu port) on Mac OS X, if I try to ftp in passive mode
    > > > either to the hosts machine or elsewhere, in passive mode ls etc. result
    > > > in
    > > >
    > > > ftp: error on ioctl NWIOTCPCONN: invalid argument
    > > >
    > > > I've seen a few posts on this in the past but no definitive fix.
    > > >
    > > > (FTP in active mode results in Illegal PORT command rejected even when
    > > > not going through a firewall).
    > > >
    > > > This is with an install off the 3.1.2a CD, nothing much set up, except I>
    > > > installed ssh which works ... but scp doesn't, it hangs after the
    > > > password.
    > > >
    > > > I'm sure this used to work but I've just tried ftp with an old install
    > > > of 3.1.1 with the same results.
    > > >
    > > > A bit frustrating for copying stuff over from other machines.
    > > >
    > > > Any fixes?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Philip Machanick

    > > I had similar problem using 3.1.2a. I have also tried the 3.1.3rc1.
    > > Finally I settled for the version that came with the book OSDI ed 3.
    > > For studying it is the best to have the documented version.
    > > Then I tried 4 different routers. Dl-Link DI524, Netgear WGR614v6,
    > > Cisco Linksys WRT54Gv5. Finally I chose the Buffalo WHR-G54S
    > > router that I flushed with custom firmware called DD-WRT version 23
    > > SP2
    > > generic from dd-wrt.com. That solved this and other connecting
    > > problems.
    > > I am running telnetd and ftpd servers as well. I have the minix box
    > > behind this router using port forwarding only. The DMZ feature
    > > of the router is disabled. I can connect using telnet and ftp to the
    > > outside world. Also I can connect from the outside to my minix.
    > > It even works from mobile phone running java telnet client.
    > > Karel

    > I'm seeing the same problem with 3.1.1 which I think used to work before.
    >
    > Any other ideas? (This is with Q 0.8.1a35.)

    --
    Philip Machanick

  5. Re: ftp and scp problems

    If you're using the minix ftp client, have you tried ncftp?

    =Ben

  6. Re: ftp and scp problems

    In article ,
    Ben Gras wrote:

    > If you're using the minix ftp client, have you tried ncftp?
    >
    > =Ben

    ncftp works better, thanks -- a few other things are still broken
    though, like I can ssh to a location, but not scp from it. At least I
    can now copy files over which is a start (or back where I was last year).

    --
    Philip Machanick

+ Reply to Thread