TCP Connections in Minix - Minix

This is a discussion on TCP Connections in Minix - Minix ; Hello, I'm trying to implement some feature at the TCP layer of Minix 3.1.2 kernel. I'm unable to establish more than 5 connections (either open or established). The length of listen queue for a specific TCP file descriptor is 5, ...

  1. TCP Connections in Minix

    Hello,

    I'm trying to implement some feature at the TCP layer of Minix 3.1.2
    kernel. I'm unable to establish more than 5 connections (either open
    or established). The length of listen queue for a specific TCP file
    descriptor is 5, but I see that, it is not getting restricted at that
    place. In fact, there is 3 way hand shake going on and latter Minix
    sends an Final packet to the client.

    If any one have a clue about where the restrictions of "5 connections"
    is happening .. kindly let me know.

    Thanks
    Sudheer

  2. Re: TCP Connections in Minix

    Sudheer wrote:
    > Hello,

    > I'm trying to implement some feature at the TCP layer of Minix 3.1.2
    > kernel. I'm unable to establish more than 5 connections (either open
    > or established). The length of listen queue for a specific TCP file
    > descriptor is 5, but I see that, it is not getting restricted at that
    > place. In fact, there is 3 way hand shake going on and latter Minix
    > sends an Final packet to the client.

    I think you are bumping in to the backlog parameter of listen.
    Unfortunately I do not have access to a minix machine so I cannot
    determine where this is set. However, on solaris this is set in
    /usr/include/sys/socket.h (#define SOMAXCONN 5) and in recent
    linux kernels it can be accessed through sysctl (tcp_max_syn_backlog)

    I would start digging in 'man listen' or /usr/include/sys/socket.h
    on a minix machine.

    Hope this helps,
    Auke
    --
    Auke Folkerts (auke@few.vu.nl) http://www.few.vu.nl/~auke
    You can move the world with an idea, but you have to think of it first.

  3. Re: TCP Connections in Minix

    On 28 Feb, 19:02, Auke Folkerts wrote:
    > Sudheer wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > > I'm trying to implement some feature at the TCP layer of Minix 3.1.2
    > > kernel. I'm unable to establish more than 5 connections (either open
    > > or established). The length of listen queue for a specific TCP file
    > > descriptor is 5, but I see that, it is not getting restricted at that
    > > place. In fact, there is 3 way hand shake going on and latter Minix
    > > sends an Final packet to the client.

    > I think you are bumping in to the backlog parameter of listen.
    > Unfortunately I do not have access to a minix machine so I cannot
    > determine where this is set. However, on solaris this is set in
    > /usr/include/sys/socket.h (#define SOMAXCONN 5) and in recent
    > linux kernels it can be accessed through sysctl (tcp_max_syn_backlog)
    >
    > I would start digging in 'man listen' or /usr/include/sys/socket.h
    > on a minix machine.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > Auke
    > --
    > Auke Folkerts (a...@few.vu.nl) http://www.few.vu.nl/~auke
    > You can move the world with an idea, but you have to think of it first.

    I just figured out that I was using a buggy kernel. Thanks for the
    help.

    --Sudheer

+ Reply to Thread