xdm and startx commands did not work! How to fix it? - Minix

This is a discussion on xdm and startx commands did not work! How to fix it? - Minix ; Dear all Minix users, I installed Minix 3 onto my hard disk (I have only one hard disk), on the second partition which has about 4 GB. I chose to install FULL without sources and with the '16 MB ' ...

  1. xdm and startx commands did not work! How to fix it?

    Dear all Minix users,
    I installed Minix 3 onto my hard disk (I have only one hard disk), on
    the second partition which has about 4 GB. I chose to install FULL
    without sources and with the '16 MB ' option. All went well during the
    installation.
    Problems: When typed 'xdm' after booting and logging in as root -
    Nothing happened, and returned no single error message.
    I did follow some steps from minixtips.com about using this: 'chmem
    =80000000 usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg' then typed 'startx' , the xwinder popped
    up with two shell consoles and a clock. I configured something on the
    'xorg.conf' file, and probably it was wrong somehow, and now either
    xdm or startx commands won't bring up the xwindow any more!!!
    If anyone has an idea how to fix this problem please let me know.
    Thanks in advance,
    COOKIE

  2. Re: xdm and startx commands did not work! How to fix it?

    Hello,

    > up with two shell consoles and a clock. I configured something on the
    > 'xorg.conf' file, and probably it was wrong somehow, and now either
    > xdm or startx commands won't bring up the xwindow any more!!!

    Why don't you provide us with information? You could write the log output of
    the X server (try running X directly).
    If you didn't change much, you could try to get the xorg.conf from the
    distribution media (e.g. cd-rom) and overwrite your (faulty) copy of it with
    the original installation. You might also consider re-installing X.

    Regards,
    Sebastian

+ Reply to Thread